best training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowman8

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everything thinks.......
From all the interviews you went on, which program will provide the best all around training (I'm not asking for what is your favorite program, so not talking about location, rep based on research, etc.....)

Members don't see this ad.

snowman8 said:
Just curious what everything thinks.......
From all the interviews you went on, which program will provide the best all around training (I'm not asking for what is your favorite program, so not talking about location, rep based on research, etc.....)

Well, for me, the place of best training has a lot to do with where you are happy i.e. didactics won't help if you are sleep deprived. How much work/sleep a person can tolerate varies. That being said, here's a few.

1. UAB- great all round, optional moonlighting for great pay and more variety of cases. To me, the optional part is the sweet, you can go home after 3p if you are really tired, but work/earn/learn more when you have the energy. No PGY1 year so make sure you don't go to one of the really cush transitionals or you WILL regret it (per several residents)

2. Wash U- best cases, best hospital, not so great on chronic pain, talks of working hard, not sure if it means long hours or not but definitely grueling PGY1 year or prelim med year

3. Duke- also all kinds of cases, great all around except no major peds. Fewer didactics (good or bad)

4. UNC- good all around, no area is super, but takes major peds and burn from Duke, maybe weak in CT

achieman said:
Well, for me, the place of best training has a lot to do with where you are happy i.e. didactics won't help if you are sleep deprived. How much work/sleep a person can tolerate varies. That being said, here's a few.

1. UAB- great all round, optional moonlighting for great pay and more variety of cases. To me, the optional part is the sweet, you can go home after 3p if you are really tired, but work/earn/learn more when you have the energy. No PGY1 year so make sure you don't go to one of the really cush transitionals or you WILL regret it (per several residents)

2. Wash U- best cases, best hospital, not so great on chronic pain, talks of working hard, not sure if it means long hours or not but definitely grueling PGY1 year or prelim med year

3. Duke- also all kinds of cases, great all around except no major peds. Fewer didactics (good or bad)

4. UNC- good all around, no area is super, but takes major peds and burn from Duke, maybe weak in CT

At UAB, why will you regret an easier internship year?????

Idon'tknow?? said:
At UAB, why will you regret an easier internship year?????

As per residents, those who did really cush transitional years suffered with the change because they were going from something easy (ie. transitional/MS 5 year) to anes which was harder. They also felt under prepared to handle medical situations that arise in ICU/OR.

Those who did harder PGY1 year sang praise about anes in general because they were going from something harder to easier, and they also felt more prepared than their counterparts.

But everything supposedly evens out after 6 months.

This is per residents at UAB, I just mentioned UAB since they have no PGY1 year offered. But feeling probably true at any institution.