Best undergrad for premed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arnath_2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in NYU, UMich, Barnard and Northwestern for undergrad, and would like to know which college would be the best for a premed student. For instance, which college has the highest medical school acceptance rate and the most generous grading scale (i.e. the college that I could earn the highest GPA with considerable hard work.)

Thanks.

:) :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Try a BS/MD program where you have to compete for a spot! It works wonders for your GPA.. *malicious laughters ensues*

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should attend the college where you are going to be happiest. College, in addition to being preparatory for whatever's next, is a time to grow as a person, to meet new people, and to HAVE FUN (I don't care what anyone says, even premeds have to have a good time in college). It's 4 years, and you only get one shot at it, so pick the college that's going to challenge you academically, but also where you feel "at home", like you fit in. Because a school with a 100% med school acceptance rate will NOT be worth it if you end up miserable for four years. And all the schools you listed are "good names" so you will get a good education at any of them, so trust your heart and go where you think you'll be happiest.

Originally posted by Cerberus
university of the pacific ask silvereyes for details

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

just go where ever you feel most comfortable and think will provide you with the best college experience. make good grades and do well on the mcat. the rest will fall in line.

i believe NW has a BS/MD program

Yes, Northwestern (NU, not NW) has a BA(BS)/MD program. It's seven years and extremely competitive to get into; out of 700 some applicants, they took 20-30. These students turned down Harvard and other schools to go to this program; I know because some of them are my good friends.

That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those schools as a premed. I think NU, UMich, and Columbia might be a little tougher in terms of coursework than Barnard or NYU (if I am wrong, please please correct me somebody) but those would be my three to choose between.

I go to Umich, and I love it! It is very competitive, but I assume pre-med classes at most universities are competitive. You will definitely have to spend a lot of time and effort to get a good GPA here. Umich sends more students to med schools than any other university. However, the reason is probably that we also have more pre-med students than any other university. If you are interested in research, Umich is an excellent choice. There is a ton of cutting edge research going on, and it is easy to get involved with. Good luck!

I'd also say Dartmouth College is a great place to be an undergraduate. Despite the location, the campus is probably the most picturesque in the nation, especially during the fall and late spring. Academically speaking, you can't beat the liberal arts education and university caliber resources available to students. Dartmouth still has one of the highest student satisfaction rates in the nation. The D-plan encourages the student to get involved with study abroad, research programs, and other valuable internship experiences. Professors are ALWAYS available, and the premedical advising is excellent.

UCLA!!!

Quickly paced, difficult courses so you learn more than people at most other schools ... good rep ... cheap tuition ... top-notch research opportunities to beef up your application ... approachable, high-level profs that can write astounding LORs ... lots of hospitals around to produce meaningful volunteer experience (I went thru Care Extenders and it was tight) ... and best of all, awesome weather, beaches, sports, movie stars on campus, and fun environment so you don't go crazy and lose your humanity in the process!

Why live in the East when you can grow into an adult on the Best Coast ... the WEST COAST!!!

BARNARD!!! Barnard is a great school for pre-med! Going there was the best decision I have ever made (so far)! Feel free to PM me if you want more info.