Best undergrad upper-level biology courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrian14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bioinformatics major so I have a lot of upper-level computer science courses mixed in with my biology upper level courses. I chose to do an "individualized" major so I basically created my own schedule. So if you want to object to the classes for my major you can as well. I'm also in a 4+4 program so I don't have to prepare for the MCAT.

Classes I will most likely take for my major:
-Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I and II
-Genetic Analysis
-Biostatistics
-Biology Research Methods
I will also most likely do 6-10 credits of research with my adviser. He specializes in genetic research and informatics.

Other courses I could take that won't count towards my major:
-Physiology
-Microbiology
-Anatomy
-Organic Evolution
-Microscopy
And if I don't take any of these classes will my whole world go up in flames?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bioinformatics major so I have a lot of upper-level computer science courses mixed in with my biology upper level courses. I chose to do an "individualized" major so I basically created my own schedule. So if you want to object to the classes for my major you can as well. I'm also in a 4+4 program so I don't have to prepare for the MCAT.

Classes I will most likely take for my major:
-Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I and II
-Genetic Analysis
-Biostatistics
-Biology Research Methods
I will also most likely do 6-10 credits of research with my adviser. He specializes in genetic research and informatics.

Other courses I could take that won't count towards my major:
-Physiology
-Microbiology
-Anatomy
-Organic Evolution
-Microscopy
And if I don't take any of these classes will my whole world go up in flames?
Well the physiology, microbio, anatomy really help along with the biochem, molecular bio.
It depends on your gpas and mcat.
Honestly, as long as you have pretty good gpas, both good or slightly low in 1 and good in another you'll be fine.

Med schools just want to see an upward trend. Also are your EC good? Do you have reason to do medicine like from volunteering, doing emt work, medical research, etc, etc. Shadowing..?

But the classes are fine, the bigger question is How well did you do in them, what are your gpas and mcat. No need to take dozens of sciences if they pull your grades down.if you have at least a 3.4 in both or less in 1 and better in another you'll b fine.

The ones you can get an A in

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The ones you can get an A in
Agreed. You just need to do good in your prerequisites and your science gpa and your overall. As long as you have a 3.6 science gpa + , only takes those upper level sciences where you'll do well. Don't risk your science gpa by taking "tough looking classes" that may drop your grades.

get good grades first, but if i had to choose some classes i think would have helped a lot in med school, physiology would be a pretty big deal. a lot of times if i know enough of the physiology, i can work my way through some of the medical questions and other stuff.

Well the physiology, microbio, anatomy really help along with the biochem, molecular bio.
It depends on your gpas and mcat.
Honestly, as long as you have pretty good gpas, both good or slightly low in 1 and good in another you'll be fine.

Med schools just want to see an upward trend. Also are your EC good? Do you have reason to do medicine like from volunteering, doing emt work, medical research, etc, etc. Shadowing..?

But the classes are fine, the bigger question is How well did you do in them, what are your gpas and mcat. No need to take dozens of sciences if they pull your grades down.if you have at least a 3.4 in both or less in 1 and better in another you'll b fine.

I have a 3.5 GPAc and a 3.4GPAs. I took organic chemistry this year as freshman so that's over with. I almost have a 4.0 this semester though, so I'm expecting that to increase. Because I'm in an accelerated program, I don't have to take the MCAT. I don't give myself excuses to be lazy though. Next year I'll be an officer in my college's HOSA chapter and the vice-president of our chemistry club here. This summer I'm also going to be an HHMI research fellow at my college doing genetic research.

I've only shadowed one doctor in the past and it took a good few months to find someone to shadow. I'm from Pittsburgh and I found it was ridiculously competitive even to find volunteer position at the hospitals. I applied in January just to volunteer at a UPMC near my house and all the summer positions for this year were completely filled. I'm going to try to network more this summer and find a physician to shadow here. It's a rural area so it's much less competitive.

I was more just wondering if I'll be at a huge disadvantage if I opt out of taking these classes and instead possibly take more chemistry classes.

I have a 3.5 GPAc and a 3.4GPAs. I took organic chemistry this year as freshman so that's over with. I almost have a 4.0 this semester though, so I'm expecting that to increase. Because I'm in an accelerated program, I don't have to take the MCAT. I don't give myself excuses to be lazy though. Next year I'll be an officer in my college's HOSA chapter and the vice-president of our chemistry club here. This summer I'm also going to be an HHMI research fellow at my college doing genetic research.

I've only shadowed one doctor in the past and it took a good few months to find someone to shadow. I'm from Pittsburgh and I found it was ridiculously competitive even to find volunteer position at the hospitals. I applied in January just to volunteer at a UPMC near my house and all the summer positions for this year were completely filled. I'm going to try to network more this summer and find a physician to shadow here. It's a rural area so it's much less competitive.

I was more just wondering if I'll be at a huge disadvantage if I opt out of taking these classes and instead possibly take more chemistry classes.
Well if your in a 4-4 program I would recommend you to take classes where you'll get the best gpa, while taking classes to make you prepared for medical. Imo I would just keep that gpa up, because I know accelerated programs would like 3.5+ in both. Just keep the good grades up and don't burden yourself unnecessarily. Don't take too many EC at the cost of your gpa. But definitely volunteering and working/shadowing doctors are the priority. Anything else is secondary, including being a president/officer in school clubs.

Molecular, genetics and biostats. You will find those info in med school again

Well if your in a 4-4 program I would recommend you to take classes where you'll get the best gpa, while taking classes to make you prepared for medical. Imo I would just keep that gpa up, because I know accelerated programs would like 3.5+ in both. Just keep the good grades up and don't burden yourself unnecessarily. Don't take too many EC at the cost of your gpa. But definitely volunteering and working/shadowing doctors are the priority. Anything else is secondary, including being a president/officer in school clubs.

They have a score index and for mine I need a 3.4 overall and a 3.3 science. It depends on what you got on your SATs/ACTs. I'm not really sure how that correlates with anything but according to them it means my GPA can be less. I guess it's the idea that people who do well on standardized tests usually continue to do well on them. And as for the club thing, I didn't really do it to impress anyone because obviously I'm already in. I just enjoy getting involved in things.
I actually feel guilty a lot of time because a huge percentage of my class is pre-med bio majors. They're all stressed about getting in and I have the much easier route. I want to be just as prepared and worthy of the acceptance as other students though. That's one of the main reasons I'm concerned that if I don't take the traditional bio pre-med classes like physiology and such that I'll be behind.