Undergrad Courses Expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maikelm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated from undergrad in 2012 and I just finished my masters in public health in 2020. I took the majority, if not all, of my science courses during my undergrad. Do these courses ever expire? I know the MCAT scores expire in 3 years, but I just want some guidance about course expiration.

Best,
Maikel

Members don't see this ad.

I would look at the websites of the schools you want to attend. The ones I looked at (~5 schools in state for me) don't have expiration dates, and some care that you completed the courses with a letter grade and not online. If you are unsure, you can call or email the school to find out.

I would look at the websites of the schools you want to attend. The ones I looked at (~5 schools in state for me) don't have expiration dates, and some care that you completed the courses with a letter grade and not online. If you are unsure, you can call or email the school to find out.

Thanks for your help!
I'm not sure which schools I will apply to, but I think I should contact them now so I can plan accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe they expire. I think the problem may be for the student is how well you can do on the MCAT when classes were taken so long ago as well as being competitive in class. If you took classes as a Freshman or Sophomore can you remember on the little details you need in medical school?

I don't believe they expire. I think the problem may be for the student is how well you can do on the MCAT when classes were taken so long ago as well as being competitive in class. If you took classes as a Freshman or Sophomore can you remember on the little details you need in medical school?

I think that is definitely a good point to consider. With so many years has passed, I know the content is in my head, but I have to bring it forward. Also, I have to get enough details that will be found on the MCAT.

Thanks for your help!

I don’t think I recall any DO schools mentioning expirations. My state MD school had expirations for pre req courses.

I applied 6 years out of undergrad.

Some schools did have expiration dates on classes. Most did not, it was definitely something that worried me but it never came up. I got like 6 DO interviews and worked for a pharmaceutical company in the interim years.

MCAT and having some tangentially healthcare/science related career path I think might assuage fears.

I keep seeing people ask about these things here... I had physics 1, gen chem 1 that were taken over 10+ yrs prior applying to med school. No one asked me about them and get acceptances to both MD/DO.