Best universites in Illinois for pre-med?

Sock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best universities in Illinois if you want to major in pre-med? And how hard is it to get accepted into them? If you already are in/were in one, what were your ACT/SAT scores and your GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

The best university for premed in Illinois for premed is the one that gives you both the most money and has high grade inflation, i.e a small college.

I'm in the same boat as you right now, and it is really a personal choice.

Have a look at the state schools, because here in Illinois they are vastly under rated and the tuition is pretty low for in-staters. I am currently looking at Eastern Illinois, because I will be a legacy student and I have found it to be very nice. Small classes for the most part, and from what I have heard there is plenty of individual attention from professors. Also the campus is pretty modern. It even has a Alpha Epsilon Delta chapter, the only state school other than U of I to have one. As for acceptance, it is not terribly hard...if I were you I would shoot for a 25 and up on the ACT? Not sure.

On the other hand, U of I is a big, well-funded institution, but has serious draw backs for the pre med. It is also more selective, look for a 29-32 to get in. On the up side, you have many great research opportunities. But, do you want to be learning the most challenging concepts of science in a room of over 150 students being lead by a someone other than a full time professor? Are you okay with a large college scene with many distractions? Do you want a personal relationship with professors? This is harder to come by with bigger schools.

On the other hand, you have your private schools. I don't know a lot about them, because quite frankly, they never seemed to be an option for me. I say pick a state school, study your butt off and build good relationships with professors. You will save a pretty penny over a small private school.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Illinois
Northwestern University
University of Chicago.

Best undergraduate life sciences schools in the state, not in that particular order.

I'm in the same boat as you right now, and it is really a personal choice.

Have a look at the state schools, because here in Illinois they are vastly under rated and the tuition is pretty low for in-staters. I am currently looking at Eastern Illinois, because I will be a legacy student and I have found it to be very nice. Small classes for the most part, and from what I have heard there is plenty of individual attention from professors. Also the campus is pretty modern. It even has a Alpha Epsilon Delta chapter, the only state school other than U of I to have one. As for acceptance, it is not terribly hard...if I were you I would shoot for a 25 and up on the ACT? Not sure.

On the other hand, U of I is a big, well-funded institution, but has serious draw backs for the pre med. It is also more selective, look for a 29-32 to get in. On the up side, you have many great research opportunities. But, do you want to be learning the most challenging concepts of science in a room of over 150 students being lead by a someone other than a full time professor? Are you okay with a large college scene with many distractions? Do you want a personal relationship with professors? This is harder to come by with bigger schools.

On the other hand, you have your private schools. I don't know a lot about them, because quite frankly, they never seemed to be an option for me. I say pick a state school, study your butt off and build good relationships with professors. You will save a pretty penny over a small private school.

*This is coming from a recent graduate of UIllinois who has also attended another state school in Illinois*

The academic and social aspects of UIllinois are amazing compared to the other state school I attended for two years.

With that said, NW or UChicago are just as good, if not better academically, but differ vastly in the social department.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk