Best way to add Pathoma into the mix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year DO student at a school that does organ system blocks. We're just starting to really get into immunology and pathology and I have yet to really use Pathoma. Sketchy micro has been great. But with Pathoma, the videos are all about 30+ minutes.

How do those who use Pathoma incorporate it into your studying? should it be used first thing after a path lecture? used right before exams? I just feel as if 30 minute videos are a long length of time and I want to make sure to use it efficiently. I've heard it's indispensable when it comes to high yield topics for boards so I don't want to not use it. I just want to maximize it as much as possible.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Before and/or after lecture plus weekend before exam. 2x speed.

Reactions: 2 users
During my first year, I used to watch portions of Pathoma as we're going through sections of Pathology for that block. However, I have switched it off this year. During my class time as in learning at home with FA, Sketchy, USMLE-Rx vids, and UpToDate, I really try to master the materials outlined in First Aid really well. I usually go through 3-4 passes on Anki for all of the pathologies outlined in First Aid. Note, I don't just try to memorize the pathologies in First Aid. I just used it as an outline in order to look up stuff on google and Uptodate in order to master the why's behind each disease. Afterward, I do about 50% of Kaplan quests for that block. Then, I just turn on Pathoma for that entire block and watch 90 mins of Pathoma for that block in 60 mins at 1.6x speed. At this point, I use Pathoma to solidify my knowledge base and tie up loose ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can use pathoma as a way to clarify whatever your class is deficient in and then on weekends use it as a condensed review to make sure you are on track knowing the high points

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a PBL curriculum, but I watched Pathoma for the section I was about to study before I tackled it in Robbins to get an overview/explanation before diving into the details, and that worked well for me.