Best way to approach a friend with untreated Stage 2 HTN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A group of us were all hanging out and having some drinks at a friend's house (who happens to be a nurse). The wonderful idea of bringing a stethoscope out somehow came to fruition and I thought why the hell not? It's been a while. We all go around the table one by one..

Friend 1: 133/85. "That's right where I usually am"
Friend 2: 119/80. "Ayyy BP game on point... I'm on lisinopril tho"
Friend 3: 142/95. "Shoot, higher than usual. Could exercise more"
Friend 4: 175/110 "..."

Me: "Wait, that can't be right.. we should double check that"
*Nurse friend checks*

Friend 4 #2: 180/105 "...yea, that's what it usually is"

Yes, there are a variety of factors that could have shot up everyone's results but they were all ballpark numbers. At this point, I say in a calm manner and work into the conversation that he should get his annual checkup (which he probably doesn't do) so on and so forth as to not bring so much attention in front of everyone. The nurse didn't even seem a bit worried!

It's been a few weeks and I can guarantee that he hasn't done anything to address it and just kind of brushed it off. Anyway, I am legitimately concerned for his health and it's been weighing on me but I don't know the best way to approach a potentially sensitive topic, as a healthcare professional, with a close friend... who I feel may still just see me as that -- a longtime friend that he won't take 100% seriously as I am usually lighthearted and easy going. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

A group of us were all hanging out and having some drinks at a friend's house (who happens to be a nurse). The wonderful idea of bringing a stethoscope out somehow came to fruition and I thought why the hell not? It's been a while. We all go around the table one by one..

Friend 1: 133/85. "That's right where I usually am"
Friend 2: 119/80. "Ayyy BP game on point... I'm on lisinopril tho"
Friend 3: 142/95. "Shoot, higher than usual. Could exercise more"
Friend 4: 175/110 "..."

Me: "Wait, that can't be right.. we should double check that"
*Nurse friend checks*

Friend 4 #2: 180/105 "...yea, that's what it usually is"

Yes, there are a variety of factors that could have shot up everyone's results but they were all ballpark numbers. At this point, I say in a calm manner and work into the conversation that he should get his annual checkup (which he probably doesn't do) so on and so forth as to not bring so much attention in front of everyone. The nurse didn't even seem a bit worried!

It's been a few weeks and I can guarantee that he hasn't done anything to address it and just kind of brushed it off. Anyway, I am legitimately concerned for his health and it's been weighing on me but I don't know the best way to approach a potentially sensitive topic, as a healthcare professional, with a close friend... who I feel may still just see me as that -- a longtime friend that he won't take 100% seriously as I am usually lighthearted and easy going. Any ideas?

I think you're overestimating your friend's capacity for caring about their health.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Slap a clonidine patch on the middle of their back when they aren't looking.

Reactions: 11 users
Tone of voice makes a real big difference to help people distinguish seriousness of an issue. Be blunt & direct; I like the text recommendation from pharmB (no ****ing emojis though!). Possibility of organ damage is not too far away if your friend doesn't deal with it appropriately; let him know the complications of this "silent" disease

Reactions: 1 user
“Dude, you can make your own adult decisions but I want to clearly warn you that you will likely die younger if you don’t get your high blood pressure under control. It’s not a joke. You don’t have to listen but I’m a crap friend if I didn’t say it”

Reactions: 5 users
You mean a sphygmomanometer, not a stethoscope. Anyway, nothing beats a good ole' heart attack for someone to finally get their check-up.

Reactions: 3 users
“Dude, you can make your own adult decisions but I want to clearly warn you that you will likely die younger if you don’t get your high blood pressure under control. It’s not a joke. You don’t have to listen but I’m a crap friend if I didn’t say it”

I think this is the best approach.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Send friend 1, 3 and 4 to HTN clinic.

sb247 gave the perfect advice

Reactions: 1 user
How do you listen to the heartbeat without it?

Nvm, I assumed they were using an automatic cuff, but seems like they were doing it the old fashioned way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk