best way to dispose of rejection letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWuStar

YUM
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
on another thread, i saw that many people seem to hold on to their rejection letters and keep them in a folder.

now, i have to preface this by saying i put some faith in feng shui, so you ultra-empirical types might not feel me on this, but i think keeping such disappointing letters around must bring down the energy of your whole space. it's no good to live amidst negative energy. :scared:

the day i got my first rejection, i decided to ceremonially dispose of each rejection letter in a different way. so far, i have gotten 3.

the first one, i burned.
the second one, i tore up and flushed down the toilet
the thrid one, i smeared with peanut butter and let my dog and her little friends rip it to shreads.

the last one felt the best. :D

any other creative ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

HAHAHAHA....

I think I might hold on to mine, just in case something really big happens in the future where I can show it to everyone and say "wow... they were complete dumb a**'s." The probability is small, but it makes me feel better and kicks me into high motivational gear. I like your ideas though! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine had the best solution for "revenge" that I've heard of so far. When she's a rich and famous alum, she'll write up checks for big money (>$50K) to each of the schools that she really wanted to attend, as well as her alma mater. All the checks will go in the mail, but only one will be good, the one to the alma mater. The rest will have a big fat "cancelled" written across them. :D

Another friend was rejected from the med school affiliated with his undergrad. His idea is to write a fat check to the school with a stipulation that not one penny can go to the med school. :p

I suggest sending your rejection back to the school to allow them to dispose of it.

Has anyone ever heard of someone rejecting a rejection? I heard a rumor that someone has done that before.

Originally posted by bruinrab
A friend of mine had the best solution for "revenge" that I've heard of so far. When she's a rich and famous alum, she'll write up checks for big money (>$50K) to each of the schools that she really wanted to attend, as well as her alma mater. All the checks will go in the mail, but only one will be good, the one to the alma mater. The rest will have a big fat "cancelled" written across them. :D

whoa that a bit extreme...perhap immature. I wouldn't go that far

Originally posted by allmightylong
whoa that a bit extreme...perhap immature. I wouldn't go that far

Well, she especially wanted to do this to one school, which rejected her for med school every time she applied. They were also the one school which didn't accept her for undergrad (she went to Johns Hopkins). The offending school begins with a "Stan" and ends with a "furd". ;)

Last year I used my rejection letters as scrap paper while I studied to retake the MCAT. Then, one day, I got a call from a school asking why I never responded to their invitation to interview. I told them that I had received a rejection letter and, amazingly, I was using the rejection letter from that school to study when the called. The woman on the phone was surprised to say the least but I had the evidence in hand and read it to her - including the name of the signature. I would suggest not only keeping the letters but verifying that they are indeed correct. You never know how incompetent office staff can be. Many people are skeptical that rec letters and transcripts are lost in admissions offices so why would you take on faith that the same office can disperse your decision letter with infallible accuracy. If you've already been rejected it can't hurt to question them....politely of course...just in case.

How about carefully placing back in the envelope and stamping "RETURN TO SENDER" on it?

In my opinion, the best way to dispose of a rejection letter would be to do the following: Eat the rejection letter and then wait 8-10 hours until you have to go the bathroom. Collect the digested letter in a small container and mail it back to the admissions office.

I like the idea of writing "return to sender".

...however, being passive aggressive, I've kept mine in my "Med School folder" and often imagined the nasty-a_ _ letters I could send them. siiiigh

Don't you just love how they write, "Please do not construe our decision to mean that you are unqualified for a career in medicine." or "...our inability to offer you an opportunity to complete the admissions process is OUR loss."

Man, what bad break-up letters!!! :(

AP

Rejected from: BU and U of Rochester

Originally posted by DrWuStar

now, i have to preface this by saying i put some faith in feng shui, so you ultra-empirical types might not feel me on this, but i think keeping such disappointing letters around must bring down the energy of your whole space. it's no good to live amidst negative energy. :scared:

For some, keeping around notices of failure can be inspiring to do even better things in the future! It all depends on the person, I suppose.

Coops

I have kept and plan to frame any and all rejection letters.

Why?

Because it serves as a good reminder to never give up.

you never know in a survival wemergency when you need extra paper for topilet paper i would use your rejection letters for this humanistic purpose. Put them in a manila enevelope labeled emergency toilet paper

Make paper planes out of them and fly them out the window.