Best way to do informal postbac

Started by hopestobe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopestobe

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently looking at csu fullerton, la, and cal poly for ug classes that I can take to boost my ug gpa (graduated this year 2.6 sci and 3.0 overall with double sci and humanities major). Reading various posts I saw that someone said that applying as a postbac to csu's gives you priority registration over freshmen and sophmores. However, when impacted, csu's have been know to not take postbac applicants.

The other option is to take classes through open university although you get last registration. I am looking to take a full year or more
so >32 credits and am willing to commute between schools. Which would be the most effective and plausible way of doing this? My fear is that I will not be able to get a full courseload in the fall due to overcrowding
 
hopestobe said:
I am currently looking at csu fullerton, la, and cal poly for ug classes that I can take to boost my ug gpa (graduated this year 2.6 sci and 3.0 overall with double sci and humanities major). Reading various posts I saw that someone said that applying as a postbac to csu's gives you priority registration over freshmen and sophmores. However, when impacted, csu's have been know to not take postbac applicants.

The other option is to take classes through open university although you get last registration. I am looking to take a full year or more
so >32 credits and am willing to commute between schools. Which would be the most effective and plausible way of doing this? My fear is that I will not be able to get a full courseload in the fall due to overcrowding
even when you take a full courseload, it doesnt sound like your GPA can be raised even that much to be competitive enough to be a med school applicant. Lets say that you take 32 credits and get 4.0 in it. You have a 3.0 now with im going to assume 130 credits from your UG so far.

(130/162)*3.0+(32/162)*4.0=2.44+.8= 3.2 overall. (i think im doing the math corectly with weighted GPA averages).

Assuming you get a perfect 4.0 in eight four-credit classes, you'll only raise your GPA by .2 It sounds to me it owuld probably be betetr for you to attend a formal Special MAsters Program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
braluk said:
even when you take a full courseload, it doesnt sound like your GPA can be raised even that much to be competitive enough to be a med school applicant. Lets say that you take 32 credits and get 4.0 in it. You have a 3.0 now with im going to assume 130 credits from your UG so far.

(130/162)*3.0+(32/162)*4.0=2.44+.8= 3.2 overall. (i think im doing the math corectly with weighted GPA averages).

Assuming you get a perfect 4.0 in eight four-credit classes, you'll only raise your GPA by .2 It sounds to me it owuld probably be betetr for you to attend a formal Special MAsters Program.

But that requires MCAT and it's too late. Post-bac a la carte is a fine way to get in. Along my travels overcoming a seemingly unsurmountable GPA (2.0) I was told by an adcom that if you take 2 years of full-time course work and get solid A's and A-'s you will be a solid candidate (with a good MCAT of course). That's what I did and it worked for me.
 
I think that increasing my gpa by any amount will be heading towards the right direction since smps will not change my ug gpa any more. I do not plan to retake any sci prereqs although I may think about it if I cannot get into any upperdiv bio courses. Suggestions?