Best way to fill pre reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redfish955

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.69 stem major gpa.
Almost no pre reqs.
163 GRE.
Currently employeed at fortune 500 and salary should be in upper middle class in several years. My lifetime career highlight will likely suck and I want to do meaningful work. I've been shadowing on the weekends for the last 9 months.
Currently Under 25.
Should I spend 4 years taking classes part time at a local state school with low tuition and likely have $50k net worth entering school or should I spend two years and enter one of the top post bac programs with $40k in debt entering school? My dream job is going to be heavy in research so I'm highly interested in the top schools for research. I moved to another state from where I grew up for work but my backup school of choice would be in my home state(am I going to have to pay out of state, how will the new in state schools look at me?) I love the idea of non competitive grading offered at some of the top schools.

Asking for a friend.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest applying to some post-bac programs and making your decision from there. Right now you’re dealing with hypotheticals, but if you got into a couple programs, it might help you make your decision, both academically and financially. Both have their benefits. I worked full-time and it took me two years to finish my pre-requisites and take the MCAT, but I have sometimes wished that I did a structured post-bac that allowed me more time to study. However, if you put in the work, either option can grant you entry into medical school.

You will receive in-state tuition for whichever state you are considered a resident in, but exceptions may vary by state. I am not familiar with your state laws, but I am from Ohio which grants in-state tuition even if you move away, as long as you graduated from an Ohio high school. Some states do similar things or may have expedited in-state procedures that allow you to become a resident within your first semester or year of medical school.

I would suggest applying to some post-bac programs and making your decision from there. Right now you’re dealing with hypotheticals, but if you got into a couple programs, it might help you make your decision, both academically and financially. Both have their benefits. I worked full-time and it took me two years to finish my pre-requisites and take the MCAT, but I have sometimes wished that I did a structured post-bac that allowed me more time to study. However, if you put in the work, either option can grant you entry into medical school.

You will receive in-state tuition for whichever state you are considered a resident in, but exceptions may vary by state. I am not familiar with your state laws, but I am from Ohio which grants in-state tuition even if you move away, as long as you graduated from an Ohio high school. Some states do similar things or may have expedited in-state procedures that allow you to become a resident within your first semester or year of medical school.

Already applied to a local big state school for part time and several top post bac. Shadowing on the weekends as well. Which path typically yields the highest MCAT? Thanks for the in state tid bit. That would allow you to leave for undergrad to a Ivy or something and go back home for med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
take an mcat prep course and crush the mcat. If you do that you won't need to take anymore prereqs for some schools....especially if you already have a STEM background.

What schools don't require pre reqs? Do any of the top schools for research fall into this group?

What schools don't require pre reqs? Do any of the top schools for research fall into this group?
every school is different....but as long as you have the minimum prereqs on their website then I think it makes more sense spending time and money to crush the mcat rather than take a bunch of other prereq classes for additional grades.

take an mcat prep course and crush the mcat. If you do that you won't need to take anymore prereqs for some schools....especially if you already have a STEM background.

This may or may not be true.. depends on what STEM degree you have... Engineering/Physics degrees won't cover the necessary bio/chem classes.

As for the 2 year vs 4 year question; the difference is $90k. Assuming you get accepted, and become a doc, 2 years' salary is worth more than $90k. So its up to you, but from a purely financial standpoint, it sounds to me like the faster route may be more logical.

Also I think you should be volunteering instead of shadowing. It's my understanding that shadowing should be a few shifts with different docs to understand the daily life and work of a physician. I think your volunteer hours should far outweigh your shadowing hours.

I haven't applied yet, so somebody better-versed in the application process might want to correct me.

Double check the pre-reqs you need. I had physics/computer science UG but only needed 2 semesters of biology and 2 semesters of organic chemistry, which I handled one per semester while working 40-60 hour weeks full time. I am glad I stayed working as it kept my debt load lower and I was able to focus on the MCAT for a good chunk of time allowing me to do well on it (upper 90s percentile).

I was still missing some pre-reqs for some med schools that I applied to (e.g. Genetics was required by some), but I got multiple admissions and had no problem not pursing schools that I didn't have all the pre-reqs for. I left med school with about 40% less debt then my cohort and as a non-trad, it's nice to have the student debt load under control.

Reactions: 1 user