Best way to floss under a permanent retainer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dentists, I have a permanent retainer for my lower teeth and I dont have the discipline to use those floss threaders everyday, in fact I only floss like once or twice a week. I know it's bad. Is there an easier way to floss this hard to reach area? Would a water pick suffice? My dentist scared me on my last visit saying that I dont want to get any loose teeth as I approach my 40s.

Would something like these tools be helpful for a clueless person like me or would they cause more harm than good?

Amazon product

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi dentists, I have a permanent retainer for my lower teeth and I dont have the discipline to use those floss threaders everyday, in fact I only floss like once or twice a week. I know it's bad. Is there an easier way to floss this hard to reach area? Would a water pick suffice? My dentist scared me on my last visit saying that I dont want to get any loose teeth as I approach my 40s.

Would something like these tools be helpful for a clueless person like me or would they cause more harm than good?

Amazon product

Try a waterpik. Theres one on sale on Amazon Prime Day. Dental instruments in the hands of someone untrained (esp working on their own mouth) is generally not a good idea. Probably pop off that retainer real quick or just do some real damage to your gums