Best way to improve myself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdoom12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for ways to improve my application by the time I apply in 2014. After recently graduating with around a 3.76 GPA, I still have 2 years of prerequisites to take. Basically, here are my extracurricular activities thus far.

Tutor - 1 year but I plan on continuing this for the next two years at my university
Research Fellow - Starting on my second year, but I don't think I'll be able to retain this during the third year due to not being a full-time student. However, I will have at least one publication out of this.
Habitat for Humanity volunteer - started this summer, plan on continuing
Remote Area Medical volunteer - I'll have accrued well over 300 hours by the time I apply
Registered Nurse in an ICU - 3 years by matriculation
Meal deliveries for the elderly - well over 200 hours in 3 years by matriculation
Shadowing - various specialties for well over 100 hours

One concern I have is regarding leadership positions. I was the vice president of the most prestigious honor society on campus for a year as well as the vice president of my major's organization. However, this was during my senior year. Will it hurt me to not have a leadership position for 2 years during my post-baccalaureate years?

Any recommendations on how to improve myself over the next two years? My current plans include rocking my remaining prereqs, doing well on the MCAT, and possibly a medical mission trip and study-abroad trip(s). Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for ways to improve my application by the time I apply in 2014. After recently graduating with around a 3.76 GPA, I still have 2 years of prerequisites to take. Basically, here are my extracurricular activities thus far.

Tutor - 1 year but I plan on continuing this for the next two years at my university
Research Fellow - Starting on my second year, but I don't think I'll be able to retain this during the third year due to not being a full-time student. However, I will have at least one publication out of this.
Habitat for Humanity volunteer - started this summer, plan on continuing
Remote Area Medical volunteer - I'll have accrued well over 300 hours by the time I apply
Registered Nurse in an ICU - 3 years by matriculation
Meal deliveries for the elderly - well over 200 hours in 3 years by matriculation
Shadowing - various specialties for well over 100 hours

One concern I have is regarding leadership positions. I was the vice president of the most prestigious honor society on campus for a year as well as the vice president of my major's organization. However, this was during my senior year. Will it hurt me to not have a leadership position for 2 years during my post-baccalaureate years?

Any recommendations on how to improve myself over the next two years? My current plans include rocking my remaining prereqs, doing well on the MCAT, and possibly a medical mission trip and study-abroad trip(s). Any suggestions?

Overall your application seems pretty strong. If I were to make any suggestions, try taking a few non-clinical volunteer spots in areas that really interest you. It will allow for some genuine conversation time between you and the ADCOM during interviews. And I'm not sure how much the international medical trips will help unless you are actually interested in doing that kind of work once you start your career, but it could allow for some amazing PS stories or conversations during the interview. So that one is really up to you. Also, if you are truly concerned about the leadership roles, you could always try forming a group of your own and go from there. Final suggestion, just rock the MCAT and you seem golden :)

Overall your application seems pretty strong. If I were to make any suggestions, try taking a few non-clinical volunteer spots in areas that really interest you. It will allow for some genuine conversation time between you and the ADCOM during interviews. And I'm not sure how much the international medical trips will help unless you are actually interested in doing that kind of work once you start your career, but it could allow for some amazing PS stories or conversations during the interview. So that one is really up to you. Also, if you are truly concerned about the leadership roles, you could always try forming a group of your own and go from there. Final suggestion, just rock the MCAT and you seem golden :)

Thank you for the encouraging words! My recent endeavor with habitat for humanity is an attempt to increase my non-clinical volunteering experience, but despite my true interest in what they do, I feel it's a bit cliche as far as medical school applications go. I'll look around for some other volunteer experiences to add, as well.

Honestly, my reasoning for the international trips is not solely altruistic. I'd like to help those in need, but I love to travel. My university offers a yearly trip to South America during Spring break and a church my parents attend goes to Brazil annually. Despite my lack of religious beliefs, I'd still like to go and help out.

I'll definitely consider forming a group, but I'll have to brainstorm on that for awhile. Maybe I'll start a PC gaming group. I have a surprising lack of friends with that hobby.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the encouraging words! My recent endeavor with habitat for humanity is an attempt to increase my non-clinical volunteering experience, but despite my true interest in what they do, I feel it's a bit cliche as far as medical school applications go. I'll look around for some other volunteer experiences to add, as well.

Honestly, my reasoning for the international trips is not solely altruistic. I'd like to help those in need, but I love to travel. My university offers a yearly trip to South America during Spring break and a church my parents attend goes to Brazil annually. Despite my lack of religious beliefs, I'd still like to go and help out.

I'll definitely consider forming a group, but I'll have to brainstorm on that for awhile. Maybe I'll start a PC gaming group. I have a surprising lack of friends with that hobby.

Hm, well as far as the international trip can go, you can totally spin it in the most positive way possible, ie wanted to help people, can acclimate to different environments quickly, and thoroughly enjoy meeting new people and being able to communicate with them (as long as you can speak their language or vice versa hahah)

And yeah definitely, the more members the merrier. I have been considering getting a new rig, but not sure if my finances can afford the expense at this moment. If you can form a group with a specific purpose and can benefit others as well, that's a huge plus