Best way to look up a good paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpikesnSpookes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Was wondering what everyone does to find an article on a topic or best treatment recommendations? Does everyone do a pubmed search? Some attendings don't like uptodate as a quote reference, and apparently the new england journal has the top publications, but I don't know if I have access to it. Was wondering what everyone's strategy is. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PubMed is a great place to start. You might consider starting with a review article. Review articles help to summarize current knowledge on a particular topic. All the original research used to compile the review will be cited in the references section so you can use the review article as a springboard to dive into the original data for more in-depth reading.

There's really nothing wrong with UpToDate. The articles are essentially reviews of current literature. UpToDate articles have references, so you can also use it as a starting place and then delve deeper into the research behind it if you want.

If you are a medical student, your library system almost certainly provides electronic access to many medical journals (including NEJM). To access the full length articles you may have to access PubMed from a link on the library website instead of typing in the PubMed URL directly.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone. Was wondering what everyone does to find an article on a topic or best treatment recommendations? Does everyone do a pubmed search? Some attendings don't like uptodate as a quote reference, and apparently the new england journal has the top publications, but I don't know if I have access to it. Was wondering what everyone's strategy is. Thanks!

This may sound silly but you could talk to your school librarian about this. I had no idea how many various resources our library had in order to access articles. And a lot of times, they have access to publications that you can't get to through pubmed. There are a lot of great, peer reviewed, academic journals out there, you just need to figure out how to access them. Start with pubmed and even uptodate always has a very long footnotes section. You might be able to get better articles from there to quote to attendings instead of pubmed itself.

Reactions: 1 user

Google scholar, settings, add ur school library, and the. When you search , a link to ur school library access site should show up
Also for whatever specialty rotation you are on, pick a top journal in that field (ex. Neurology for a neurology rotation) and then search your topic.
Cochrane review
Also uptodate, but click on the reference number next time a treatment recommendation and then citation for a journal article should pop up