best way to move cross country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComplexPuzzle

shakin dat a**
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody have any ideas or experience with moving cross country...i have some furniture but not a lot to the point that i couldnt bear to part with it...the main things i have are clothes, books, tv, stereo and stuff like that...i am just trying to figure out what would be the most efficient way to relocate...as of right now i do have a car but am considering leaving it behind and possibly getting a new (well new to me) car once i reach my destination...any suggestions would be great

Members don't see this ad.

I have about the same problem. I am taking my car, and for me it is about the same price to buy new stuff there, have movers move everything, or move everything myself (rent a moving van and ride it across country). Moving everything myself seems like too big of a pain, so I am planning on doing one of the other options. I am interested to see what others are doing...

I'm moving pretty far too. Unless you have nice furniture or things that have some sentimal value, I wouldn't move it cross country--too much of a hassle. I'm still living on pretty cheap furniture and stuff, so I think it will be easier, and in the end, cost just the same, to ditch the furniture (I've already given it away to friends or Goodwill) and resupply once I move. I am bringing a car, so I'm just stuffing my car as full as I can, then shipping the rest. I'm putting all my light but bulky stuff, like winter clothes, into boxes to ship, and taking the heavy stuff with me.

It just seems like too much trouble and expense to move a bunch stuff across the country when I can just spend just as much and get all new stuff delivered.

Anyways, that's my plan of action. Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
ComplexPuzzle, couldn't you take the car with you and then trade it in once you arrive? Or would you still want to hold onto it?

Do a search, this has been posted a ton of times and there is a lot of advice.

The company I swear by and used, as well as my brother just last week NY to Spokane is called ABF UPack www.upack.com

I saved a ton of $ using them and they are great.

Anyway do a search and good luck.
T

I'm moving from CA to PA, which is quite a move. So far, I'm planning on just bringing clothes, shoes, purses, makeup, a DVD player, and some books/office supplies. I plan on purchasing everything else (furniture, computer,etc) online when I get there. That way they can ship straight to your new addie.

Thanks for the advice tyson. Another bit of advice I heard was to make sure your moving estimates are BINDING estimates vs. a normal estimate. Movers have been known to jack up prices at the last minute.