Best way to prepare as an incoming M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how I should spend the next 4-5 months before the start of medical school? (Other than relaxing)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Try some leisure reading and travel (even if not to exotic locales just get out of the house).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just Forrest Gump it. Pick a direction and start running. Stop when medical school starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Any advice on how I should spend the next 4-5 months before the start of medical school? (Other than relaxing)
@protego, feel free to do whatever you want to do ... rest, relax, sleep, play, dine on your favorite pizza, travel, read, listen to music, go hiking, surfing, skydiving in Tahiti ... because for the next 4 years, you're gonna be our newest prey! :)

Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school - well done! - I'm just having a little fun with everyone today ... no worries.

Reactions: 12 users
There was a time where I would've said, "have fun, but if you want look thru ____ book..." - in retrospect that causes more stress than the potential small benefit it might have.

Some practical things:
- if you have undergrad loans try and pay them off (especially if non-trad), get a fun job to do this, and when its not fun just quit!
- learn how to make good, healthy, cheap meals that will last a week at a time, get comfortable with this as it will be helpful to do this
- get in the best shape of your life
- get a new computer or clear off any crap that is taking up space on your old computer
- if you have any clinger girlfriends/boyfriends, or relationships that you don't want to carry into med school, end them now because 1) a relationship with an end point should just end now, and 2) you don't want to deal with this B.S. while starting med school
- similarly, if you're in a relationship you DO want to continue, start planning logistics for this now, plant the seed for the time commitment med school will be so that the shock to your significant other is less (will never be no shock) when you start, again less B.S. to deal with as you start school
- I guess in general purge your life of stuff and people that aren't true friends or people you don't like but associate with lol
- if you have a tiger mom with no boundaries, set boundaries now for said tiger mom. this is your career.
- if you know someone who is more studious than you and definitely not crazy, who will also be attending your school, look into rooming with them (as you never know with other random roommates)

All my suggestions are about removing time-wasting activities, stress, and uncertainty from your life as much as possible before you start - these things can derail you as an MS1, so do what you have to now to prevent anything from negatively impacting your start to school.

Most of these suggestions stem from problems I saw with other students, and a few from my experience. have fun, good luck!

Reactions: 46 users
There was a time where I would've said, "have fun, but if you want look thru ____ book..." - in retrospect that causes more stress than the potential small benefit it might have.

Some practical things:
- if you have undergrad loans try and pay them off (especially if non-trad), get a fun job to do this, and when its not fun just quit!
- learn how to make good, healthy, cheap meals that will last a week at a time, get comfortable with this as it will be helpful to do this
- get in the best shape of your life
- get a new computer or clear off any crap that is taking up space on your old computer
- if you have any clinger girlfriends/boyfriends, or relationships that you don't want to carry into med school, end them now because 1) a relationship with an end point should just end now, and 2) you don't want to deal with this B.S. while starting med school
- similarly, if you're in a relationship you DO want to continue, start planning logistics for this now, plant the seed for the time commitment med school will be so that the shock to your significant other is less (will never be no shock) when you start, again less B.S. to deal with as you start school
- I guess in general purge your life of stuff and people that aren't true friends or people you don't like but associate with lol
- if you have a tiger mom with no boundaries, set boundaries now for said tiger mom. this is your career.
- if you know someone who is more studious than you and definitely not crazy, who will also be attending your school, look into rooming with them (as you never know with other random roommates)

All my suggestions are about removing time-wasting activities, stress, and uncertainty from your life as much as possible before you start - these things can derail you as an MS1, so do what you have to now to prevent anything from negatively impacting your start to school.

Most of these suggestions stem from problems I saw with other students, and a few from my experience. have fun, good luck!

I think this is great advice!

I'm working, getting in shape and saving money to travel for a month before school starts. Also reading a ton of books (leisure, not textbooks)

Last edited:
Many of these have been mentioned but these are some of my goals for the next few months!
  1. Experiment with making a bunch of easy and healthy meals
  2. Establish a consistent exercise routine
  3. Purge my wardrobe and buy some nice things
  4. Generally downsize all the stuff I've accumulated in the six years since I left home
  5. Learn how to take advantage of my technology to maximize productivity (and get new technology as needed)
  6. Pay off as much of my student loans as possible
  7. Create a realistic student budget (and look at what loan repayment looks like with my financial aid options)
  8. Move a little bit early and create a super welcoming and calming living space
  9. Read at least 10 more books on my to-read list!

Reactions: 7 users
1. Learn to cook cheap, fast, healthy, tasty meals

2. Start some sort of workout routine and make it a habit

3. Practice your Spanish or start to learn some basic phrases

4. Use your leisure time to the max

5. Learn to start managing your personal finances if you haven't already

6. Spend time with friends and family

7. Have fun!!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have work
I have work
I have work
I have work
dine on your favorite pizza
I have to lose weight to meet military requirements
That's expensive and I have work
Only during my commute bus ride to and from work
listen to music
Hamilton on blast every car ride
go hiking
Maybe
Seriously, where do you guys get all this money?
skydiving in Tahiti

Edit: word

Reactions: 14 users
I have work

I have work

I have work

I have work

Maybe

surprised-reaction-guy-l.png

Reactions: 25 users
Any advice e to help get started on these? Cheap dishes mean Ramen and chicken with rice and steamed veggies for me haha.
/r/eatcheapandhealthy
/r/personalfinance

personalfinance turned my whole budget around. Go there, read the FAQ's read the beginners guide and prosper.

Reactions: 1 user
I have work

I have work

I have work

I have work

Maybe

Surfing isn't expensive!

/r/eatcheapandhealthy
/r/personalfinance

personalfinance turned my whole budget around. Go there, read the FAQ's read the beginners guide and prosper.
Where?

I have work

I have work

I have work

I have work

Maybe

Money is transient, gainz are forever. Break the yoke of the oppressor with sick biceps. Swole is the goal, size is the prize. LETS GO!

Reactions: 11 users
Money is transient, gainz are forever. Break the yoke of the oppressor with sick biceps. Swole is the goal, size is the prize. LETS GO!

I laugh every time I read this

100% gonna include this on my resume someday

Reactions: 4 users
So far for me, I've been doing a lot of reading, working out, and hanging out with friends (on top of the part-time work). Doing some international travel in March. I think the most important thing is to get in the best shape as you can before school starts

Any advice e to help get started on these? Cheap dishes mean Ramen and chicken with rice and steamed veggies for me haha.

A crockpot is a busy cook's best friend. Find some great recipes, just dump in the ingredients in the morning, let it do its thing all day, and come home to a hot delicious meal! Also, crockpot recipes are often made to serve multiple people, so you can have leftovers to last through the week.

I have work

I have work

I have work

I have work

Maybe

How much do you work / what do you do? The demands of work are likely going to get progressively worse at least for your next 7-13 years, so if you can't get it under control now, something to work on maybe. Then again, I don't know your history, maybe you're working 50 hr weeks on top of being a full time student

How much do you work / what do you do? The demands of work are likely going to get progressively worse at least for your next 7-13 years, so if you can't get it under control now, something to work on maybe. Then again, I don't know your history, maybe you're working 50 hr weeks on top of being a full time student
Just a lot of OT lately on top of a pregnant wife. Doing about 180% of my usual chores since she's pretty much out of commission 24/7

Just a lot of OT lately on top of a pregnant wife. Doing about 180% of my usual chores since she's pretty much out of commission 24/7
Congrats on the kid. Keep grinding it out but make sure its not all work no play. I assume once medical school starts, play dramatically decreases.

Congrats on the kid. Keep grinding it out but make sure its not all work no play. I assume once medical school starts, play dramatically decreases.
It's really just the timing of my shifts+commute time that freaking kills my free time. I used to work 55-60 hours per week but I started in the mornings and felt I had WAY more free time.

I had terrible english teachers growing up and my grammar isn't great - anybody have any books or tips on improving grammar? pretty random but oh well

I had terrible english teachers growing up and my grammar isn't great - anybody have any books or tips on improving grammar? pretty random but oh well
Try learning a second language.

Try doing more reading.. Particularly well written, classic books. I read a lot as a kid and picked up a lot of my grammar and vocabulary from books.

Reactions: 2 users
Just booked my hotels, trains, and buses for Central Europe in the middle of May.

This is weird, but I'm also reading a decent amount about dining etiquette. I wasn't raised to develop any of these habits throufhout my childhood and have never looked into improving. I assume it will help in the future in some way.

Also, I'm trying to develop a much better taste and appreciation for wines and liquors. Im a beer connoisseur, so I got that covered. this might also explain why my grammar might be poor right now.

Working full time until two months prior. Reading more than I ever have. Cooking more often. Getting in better shape. Studying finance, a lot.

What do you mean by "studying finance". Im completely financially illiterate and have no idea where to start..

What do you mean by "studying finance". Im completely financially illiterate and have no idea where to start..

Start with Boglehead forums and white coat investor..

I recommend starting with personal finance and then going from there

lol me too...i was like "...wuuuuuuut?" when filling out FAFSA

This is why he was accepted to all those places he did
All two. On the opposite coast. Meanwhile my state school rejected me. It's ok. My wife will only be 9 months pregnant and ready to pop on orientation day.

Reactions: 5 users
All two. On the opposite coast. Meanwhile my state school rejected me. It's ok. My wife will only be 9 months pregnant and ready to pop on orientation day.
nowadays two is considered plenty ;-) congrats on the baby btw

nowadays two is considered plenty ;-) congrats on the baby btw
They're <100 miles from each other though. I'm so thankful to have gotten into any schools coming from my lot of life. It's very unfortunate timing and I don't live in a very friendly state.

This is weird, but I'm also reading a decent amount about dining etiquette. I wasn't raised to develop any of these habits throufhout my childhood and have never looked into improving. I assume it will help in the future in some way.

Can relate to this. The minimal Western dining etiquette I basically know comes from movies and shows I saw while growing up. You should've seen me and my brother at a semi-fancy restaurant a few months ago. Just kept staring around, trying to copy the people around us.

Lots of helpful advice

Try doing more reading.. Particularly well written, classic books. I read a lot as a kid and picked up a lot of my grammar and vocabulary from books.
I definitely second this.