Best way to prepare for biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning to take general biochemistry next semester in the spring. Apparently, the professor I'm taking is pretty difficult but is one of the best professors at my school. For both ochem I and II, I prepared in the break and received A's for both courses. I'm planning to prepare for biochemistry in winter break so I can keep that A trend. If any (other than the required textbook), what's the best material can I use for preparation? I apologize if this question sounds silly. :(

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting an A in o-chem 1 & 2 is enough. Don't stress yourself over break.

So I'm planning to take general biochemistry next semester in the spring. Apparently, the professor I'm taking is pretty difficult but is one of the best professors at my school. For both ochem I and II, I prepared in the break and received A's for both courses. I'm planning to prepare for biochemistry in winter break so I can keep that A trend. If any (other than the required textbook), what's the best material can I use for preparation? I apologize if this question sounds silly. :(

Thanks!

Watch youtube videos about enzyme kinetics (michaelis menten), pH/pKa problems, hemoglobin/myoglobin concept.

Memorize Kreb cycle, glycolysis, pentose pathway, fatty acid catalysis, ATP Synthesis, Photosynthesis. Mechanisms for each concept. Know... EVERYTHING. Cofactors, enzymes, everything.

Keep up to date with studying. Study everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree with what sacapuntas says, reviewing ph, pka concept would be nice.
Every school is different with what they cover in their biochem, so I personally wouldn't suggest you to start studying ahead or anything.
Just don't fall behind and you will be fine.

Chads biochem videos are extremely useful. Some a lot more then others. They are also free, so take advantage of them. Don't stress, it a pretty fun class.

It was a lot of memorization particularly pathways and basic General Chemistry coupled with a few Organic Chemistry concepts.

I used blank sheets of paper and drew pathway maps, memorized it, and then tried to redraw the maps onto another blank sheet of paper from memory. Understanding why and how particular reactions occur in any particular step help you memorize the pathways.

I read the book for understanding the concepts and I keep reading until I was able to explain the concepts out loud to myself in my room.

At the beginning of the semester, I timed myself and tracked how many pages I could read and understand in an hour. I do this for every science class. I organized my study schedule accordingly. Everything is memorizable and understandable so time-management is key.

Use Lippincott's or Lehninger's.

I loved biochem. It's the best class ever after p chem and orgo. I love the hard classes lol

Don't stress it, and just study during the semester. That should be enough. I always try to study before the semester, but I lack the motivation to do so.

If you can, just memorize the cycles, kreb's, gluconeogensis, etc.

I loved biochem. It's the best class ever after p chem and orgo. I love the hard classes lol

Don't stress it, and just study during the semester. That should be enough. I always try to study before the semester, but I lack the motivation to do so.

If you can, just memorize the cycles, kreb's, gluconeogensis, etc.

I can't believe you took took P-Chem and still maintained 4.0. Kudos!
ali-g-respect-1.jpg

I can't believe you took took P-Chem and still maintained 4.0. Kudos!
ali-g-respect-1.jpg

Thanks! I got a 100 on every test and the final (ACS exam). It was the greatest accomplishment of my college career. I am such a closet nerd :rofl:

Thanks! I got a 100 on every test and the final (ACS exam). It was the greatest accomplishment of my college career. I am such a closet nerd :rofl:

why are you becoming a dentist?? go get your PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
srsly.

Then solve the global energy problem.

And then cure cancer.

:thumbup:

Nah :thumbdown: cure HIV! :laugh:. But seriously, I never heard anyone in my department got 100 on pchem exam. The smartest one got 92 overall, he is now in med school. Another girl of 91 overall, now in PhD program at Notre Dame. Wow, I imagine people must hate you if the class was curved huh?:laugh:

I've never in my life heard of someone "preparing" for a course during a break. If you've had basic level science courses you've done what you can to prepare this far, just like everyone else. Just study hard as the material comes. I believe any "preparation" you initiate before-hand may be a waste of time (precious relaxation time).... You should study based on teacher style/book style and the way the material is presented, IMO. Grab a brew, sit back and enjoy your family this break.

Yea, you're correct but the course is built beyond basic biology and chemistry. The reason why I'm asking how to prepare is because I've studied ahead for both ochem courses and it benefited me. I won't study any less than in the semester of the course... it will just help me understand what I need to know. But everyone is different, so yeah... this works for me.

If you did well in your prereqs for biochem you'll be fine.

For example these topics will be expanded on in biochem:

gchem: kinetics, redox (g chem definition), pH

bio: 4 macro molecules, enzymes, metab pathways

ochem: basic reaction mechanisms, redox (o-chem definition), acid base

If you know those topics you will be solid. If you want to get ahead (this was true for the course I took) memorize the 20 common amino acids names, structure, and abbreviations.

FYI: I got A's in both Ochems and an A- in biochem. It was harder for me because of the volume. The pathways/structures get redic!

Last edited:
ketone, I just got done with biochem this past semester, and my professor focused on what was in the textbook rather than what he lectured on. Maybe you can look your professor up on the ratemyprofessor site and see what he/she will focus on? Otherwise, if you're planning to read the textbook chapters anyway I'd email to get a copy of the syllabus and get to reading the material over break. Even if you don't remember most of it, it'll be easier to memorize things the second time around looking at the material. At least it is for me.

Yea, I heard it was A LOT of memorization. Thanks!

Yea I have the syllabus at hand. I think the professor focus on the lectures as oppose to the textbook, but I could be wrong. Thanks!

I have to agree with the previous poster. Biochemistry is the best class and right next to it is Pchem :D! Still contemplating whether or not I should take physical biochemistry though..

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, the best way to prepare for biochem is by doing well in your core fundamental classes. Nothing can beat mastering ochem 1&2, cell bio, genetics, and a bit of gen chem. Is the biochem you're taking for biochem majors or non-biochem majors?

Note: it would be useful to go over pH, buffers, pKa, and how to draw sugars. The rest of the molecules like amino acids and etc are easier to remember (at least for me)

With hard work, you can make an A in biochemistry. I made all B's on my general chemistry and organic I, but made an A in biochemistry and organic II.

Biochem is filled with a lot of memorization. If you get the pathways and enzymes memorized it will get you no lower than a C+. If you want an A you need to comprehend how everything works with each other at the mechanical level. Good luck

you don seem like the closet type !

but nice scores !

Thanks!
prepare your butt for severe ass pain, as Biochemistry is one of those classes that will play nice with you and take you out for a dinner or two and sweet talk you, and when you start thinking "hey, biochem isnt that bad." WHAM!

Biochem isn't that bad. Everyone has hyped up classes since junior high and it's just not worth it to worry about it so much. "Oh Trig is so hard...", then it becomes Cell bio, then orgo, then biochem (Immunology is the exception to me, but I never took P chem). You can try to memorize the pathways right now, but that'll be tough to remember a month from now. I would set myself up to do better in the class, instead of throwing myself at material I haven't gotten lectured on. Make flashcards of the amino acids, glycolysis, TCA cycle, fatty acid metabolism, and review a little of what people listed above with gen chem. That way when the time comes, you won't have to spend time making study materials. You already got a chunk of them! I did this for my upper level micro class and it paid off. Good luck!