Best way to request LORs over a year ahead (before taking gap years)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that I like having the individual write me a letter as soon as possible. Honestly, it doesn't make sense to ask professors and such to "take notes" on you and then draft a letter later. The letter should be written about the qualities you displayed in the time they've worked with you. Unfortunately, truth is that the longer you stray away from that time frame, these feelings and associations deteriorate.

For myself, I always asked for a letter from the professors as soon as I finished the course or have completed whatever program I was in with them. I ask them to draft it as if I were applying for the next cycle in the upcoming months and just store it away for a future time. Just today I sent them all personalized "updates" (obviously the indication is that i'd want them to update their letters) and letters personally thanking them for everything they've done. This, in my opinion, is the best way to get an extraordinary letter as opposed to your average cut-and-paste LOR. This is also notably advantageous because if you ever need a LOR for an award/scholarship that might pop up or some fellowship/program, you have it ready on hand (which has proven to myself to be beneficial time and time again).

As for professors you're 100% sure you're going to continue working with, ask later. There's no harm there.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,

I will be graduating from my undergrad this upcoming June and will be applying to medical schools for 2018-2019 cycle (2 gap years). With the end of school year approaching, I wanted to know which approach would be best to request LOR/LOEs while my professors' memories of me are fresher. Here are my exact questions:

1. Based on my SDN searches, here are the two methods that would be recommended: (1) Ask them now to write it and send it to my Interfolio by this summer or so and (2) ask them now to write a draft/notes about me to write the letter later closer to my application cycle. Which would be better?

My concern with (1) is that I'm not sure what kind of deadline that I should impose/request them to write it by since it's over a year away. For (2), I'm afraid that they won't remember much about me over a year away since I'm not AS close to a few of them and I'm sure many of them won't write the draft an entire year ahead (too much other letters to write, busy, etc.). What do you think?

2. Since I do not have PS written, would it be okay to just hand them a cover letter, resumé, and transcript with an offer to have a conversation about my career goal and such?

3. I will only have two science professors LORs (very close with both, while I'm not that close with any other science professors). However, one of them will be my PI, who I took a class under, did research under as an undergrad, AND will be working as a full time research assistant during my gap years. That LOR would still quality as science professor LOR (if not even stronger), correct?

I would appreciate any feedback!
1) Ask them to write it now, give them a month or two as a deadline (no rush, but before they forget about you). Interfolio is the way to go. That way you aren't pulling your hair out when your application cycle comes around.
2) This is perfectly fine. Your letter writers don't need a full PS. If you get the chance to meet with them in person to ask for a letter, maybe try to have a bit of conversation with them. Let them know why you're interested in medicine.
3) Correct

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get your letters now and then maybe throw in one from your gap year. That's what I did and it worked out just fine! I thought I was going to apply last year, so I had all of my letters ready to go. Then due to unforeseen circumstances ended up taking another year off and not applying. I just asked my committee to hold onto my letters and added a new one from my place of employment this past year. No one questioned it at all.