Best way to stay up to date with journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbomba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from subscribing to a bunch fo them, which can get expensive for a resident. Any tips to get quick reads of the latest research?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't the best solution, but I use Zotero to manage my article library, and Zotero includes RSS functionality. Most major journals publish RSS feeds of their latest issues, so Zotero will get the updated feed and include all of the information for the article in the app. Double click the article entry and you'll be taken to the article on the publisher's website.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's "good enough" and allows you to curate the journals you want to "follow." Spend an hour or so once a month looking through your RSS feed, grab the articles that are of interest to you, and throw them in your Zotero library and you'll be able to keep up with what's being published from the journals you're following.

There are other apps that perform a similar function and probably do it better (I used Read by QxMD years ago), but this is what I use.

Reactions: 5 users
If you're faculty you have free access to a medical library.
If you have a colleague willing to share access take advantage of it.
Otherwise you're going to have to pay for it.
It's also not as if you have to subscribe to every journal. Even when I was faculty it's not like I read every single journal every month. Lots of still will eventually spill over if it makes headway.
Unfortunately we don't have an equivalent of a psych uptodate. Some CME organizations have updates in the field neatly presented in an annual format.