Best way to study?

sp4175

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start studying for the OAT this summer and I wanted to know which were the best resources/books out there to use? I have come across so many, and it is just so overwhelming! I also wanted to know if anyone has taken the Kaplan course. Is it worth it and did it help at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Kaplan course and used a lot of online sources to relearn stuff I didn't learn as well or just b/c I am old and don't remember it. I found Kaplan to be great for everything except QR.

I suggest studying 2 sections each day and not just go over one section. And to do as many practice tests and quizzes you can. It is all about PRACTICE! b/c it is easy to learn all of it, but applying it and doing it is what makes it hard.

I suggest using Oat destroyer as well, I never used it. But if I could do it over again I would have used the OAT destroyer as I felt unprepared for QR and needed more practice on Physics. And b/c I hear great things from it.

Also youtube has a lot of great videos if you are stuck on subjects, like organic,bio, chemistry,physics. It was a life saver.

The Kaplan Big Blue Book was a lifesaver! I studied 3 weeks, and used only the Kaplan book and practice tests. Go through it diligently, and take as many practice tests as you can. If there was one thing I would have done differently it would have been using other resources for physics. I recommend ExamKrackers or even just going through your past physics notes. I really believe that taking practice tests helped me do well on the OAT. They make you so much more comfortable with what the exam is actually like. I hope that helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
There were two included in my big Kaplan book, and I also did the one on the ADA website. I also got another free one from Kaplan for signing up for a free OAT module that they had going on when I was studying. My University also had a Saturday where they offerred full-length practice tests through Kaplan for all the pre-health tests, so I did a practice test then as well. That one was the most helpful because I took it at a computer in very a similar testing setting to the actual OAT. I studied for a solid 4 weeks, and doing so many practice test helped solidify the information so much better than anything else I could have done. I highly recommend it!

Would you recommend taking any other supplements along with the Kaplan big book? I just got the Kaplan big book today and the rest of the bundle. I also planned to buy the OAT destroyer. I was also going to buy Princeton's Cracking the OAT and Kaplan's small OAT book when the 2013 versions came out.

I went cheap and just got books from my local library-- mostly AP books. Worked for me, but if you have the money everyone raves about the OAT Destroyer and Chad's videos.

You should definitely get OAT Achiever. The questions are hard, but will prepare you for the worst on the OAT. Make sure you take at least one full length timed test to really see how you pace yourself for every section of it.

I used the mcat exam crackers and found it was a great source for extra practice. B/c it has a lot of quizzes after each section.