Best way to turning down an accepted acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help with turning down the acceptance offer. I accepted an acceptance from a med school. Now I have changed my mind and want to go for another med school. What's the best way to withdraw the first one? Who should I write the letter to? the associate dean of admission?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You could write a letter to the admissions office, or you could probably give them a call.

How about calling the admission's office and saying something like "Thank you for your admissions offer; however, I wish to withdraw." It's short, to the point, and courteous. Tell them why if you wish, but it doesn't really matter. They'll realize either you got a better offer or don't wish to pursue medicine. I'm sure they see it many times each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh...yeah....umm....here's the thing medical school....I'm gonna have to let you go. Buh-bye.

You:
lumbergh.gif

Medical school:

thumb-milton1.jpg

Uh...yeah....umm....here's the thing medical school....I'm gonna have to let you go. Buh-bye.

You:

Medical school:

ahahahahahahaaa!! :thumbup:

"And don't forget to attach the new TPS cover sheet to my deposit refund."

I need help with turning down the acceptance offer. I accepted an acceptance from a med school. Now I have changed my mind and want to go for another med school. What's the best way to withdraw the first one?

Thanks in advance.

I hope you mean that you want to go to another medical school that has already accepted you. If you don't have another acceptance in hand, do not turn down an acceptance offer.

If you are going to withdraw from an acceptance, the school will want the withdrawal in writing with your signature on it. They cannot take the chance that someone else is calling on your behalf (like, as a joke, or maliciously to open up a spot for themselves). A brief letter stating that you wish to withdraw from your acceptance is all that is needed. No reason is necessary. Addressing it to the Admissions Office is sufficient.

You should receive your deposit refund shortly.

I need help with turning down the acceptance offer. I accepted an acceptance from a med school. Now I have changed my mind and want to go for another med school. What's the best way to withdraw the first one? Who should I write the letter to? the associate dean of admission?

Thanks in advance.

You can call (be sure to get the name of the person that you spoke with), which is quick and helps people on the wait list.

Follow-up phone call with e-mail (ask person on phone to whom e-mail should be sent) (courtesy copy to Dean of Admissions if not the person that you are sending e-mail to). Be sure to mention date, time and person that you spoke with in e-mail. Thank them for the interview (again) and the acceptance. Express regrets etc.

Send Certified letter to Dean of Admissions with phone-call date and time, e-mail date and time. Express the same info in your letter as in your e-mail. Be sure to keep a copy of your return receipt so that you can get your deposit returned.

When it comes to medical school acceptances (and declines) use minimally a certified letter with return receipt. Be courteous and professional. E-mail and phone are quick but you have no idea of who is actually on the other end of the phone (or computer). If you have sent a certified letter with return receipt, you have your bases covered.