Best Websites for Editing Personal Statements???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDs Husband

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into professional editing services for the final draft of my personal statement... Has anyone used online editing services???

If so, what would you recommend??

Members don't see this ad.

Did you try SDN first? Might as well since it's free I believe. Haven't actually tried it myself though.

SDN has a cyclical list of dozens of experienced editors from the med student level onward. Look for the 2011-2012 Personal Statement Reader List thread. The readers' services are free, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my college's career services office take a look at my personal statement. They were able to provide me a lot of good feedback.

The difference between professional editors and amateurs is worth every penny. Also, sending your PS to what are essentially random people on an internet forum just seems like a bad idea.

Proof? SDN's free editing got me into a couple of top 10's. What's your anecdote? OP, I would recommend finding someone off the SDN PS readers list who most-closely matches your "profile" (trad/non-trad, humanities/biology, etc.) and try that first and see where you think it gets you. Your local English department is another option. Both free of charge. If you feel like you just have to spend the money, there are a number of service providers, including some who are sponsors of SDN and feature banner ads around the site (or even host an entire forum...)

Proof? SDN's free editing got me into a couple of top 10's. What's your anecdote? OP, I would recommend finding someone off the SDN PS readers list who most-closely matches your "profile" (trad/non-trad, humanities/biology, etc.) and try that first and see where you think it gets you. Your local English department is another option. Both free of charge. If you feel like you just have to spend the money, there are a number of service providers, including some who are sponsors of SDN and feature banner ads around the site (or even host an entire forum...)

That's pretty cool! :)

The difference between professional editors and amateurs is worth every penny. Also, sending your PS to what are essentially random people on an internet forum just seems like a bad idea.
Yes, because professional editors know exactly how to write a proper med school personal statement. Yeah, they'll ferret out every grammatical inconsistency and flow issue you have, but they're not even going to approach the direction you'll get on SDN. If you've had a solid writing background, editing isn't exactly rocket science. You don't need years of experience and an Ivy League degree to do it well. SDN also gives you access to a whole bunch of different educated viewpoints on what you've written. There's really no comparison.

Like Pons said, there are lots of different free sources that are of very high quality. I had my high school English teacher edit mine, for instance. There's just no reason at all to use a service you have to pay for.

I used a professional editor and the difference was amazing! She charged $50 an hour and after I saw the result, I would have paid triple that!

We conducted everything over email and her turn around was under 24 hours.

Honestly, I would recommend her without reservation.

Send me a message if you want her email/website

I've used IvyLeagueAdmission ($75 for a personal statement) to edit mine, and I can honestly say that it was one of the most worthwhile things I've paid for. Scratch that. I had to completely rewrite mine anyway

Last edited:
I'd get at least one family member or close friend to read over it to make sure it sounds like 'you'. It's important to have an essay that reflects who you are and why you are choosing medicine. Someone who knows you well may be able to point out something you missed or cut out something unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to have to second this! They did a wonderful job shaping my writing and it was well worth it. If anybody decides to use this shoot me a pm and I can give you a more detailed opinion on it!

Ivy Eyes editing. http://www.ivyeyesediting.com/

If you end up wanting to use them PM me and I will let you know the names of two great editors that work for them so you can request them rather than taking your chances.

Get the higher priced level of service that lets you work back and forth with your editor more.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I saw your post about the online editors you used for your statment. Do you mind sending me the names of the good editors? thanks.

If you end up wanting to use them PM me and I will let you know the names of two great editors that work for them so you can request them rather than taking your chances.

Get the higher priced level of service that lets you work back and forth with your editor more.

For some reason SDN doesnt let me send PMs... could you message me who you recommend from Ivy Eyes, david?

Hey,

Who would you recommend on Ivyeyes?

Last edited:
I finalized editing my personal statement a few months ago and I used a wide variety of resources. I enlisted the help of family, friends, my pre-med advisor, campus tutoring services, and an online editing service. I didn't post mine to SDN for others to read, but you could also go that route I suppose. I shopped around for online editing companies for a while and finally went with Gurufi.com. I picked Brian as my editor only because he had the most amount of stellar reviews, but all the editors seemed very well qualified. Of all my resources, my Gurufi editor was by far the most helpful. It was roughly $100 although rates vary among editors I think. For me, at least, I could justify spending that money if it helps me get into medical school. In short, if you can get a personal statement you're happy with without paying, great. I was satisfied with my statement, by an experienced editor of this topic really made my personal statement stand out. I don't think I'll be missing that $100 in ten years.

I finalized editing my personal statement a few months ago and I used a wide variety of resources. I enlisted the help of family, friends, my pre-med advisor, campus tutoring services, and an online editing service. I didn't post mine to SDN for others to read, but you could also go that route I suppose. I shopped around for online editing companies for a while and finally went with Gurufi.com. I picked Brian as my editor only because he had the most amount of stellar reviews, but all the editors seemed very well qualified. Of all my resources, my Gurufi editor was by far the most helpful. It was roughly $100 although rates vary among editors I think. For me, at least, I could justify spending that money if it helps me get into medical school. In short, if you can get a personal statement you're happy with without paying, great. I was satisfied with my statement, by an experienced editor of this topic really made my personal statement stand out. I don't think I'll be missing that $100 in ten years.

Thanks for the hot tip Brian

lol...yeah I contemplated leaving out my editor's name for this very reason, but because the editor (and not the website) is actually doing the work, I just left it in. Similarly, I might not recommend a large medical practice as a whole, but rather individual physicians within the clinic. The first time I had my essay edited was via EssayEdge and although I opted to be randomly assigned to an editor, I wasn't happy with the edit at all. Sure I could see the editors' bios, but no actual reviews from real clients. I later went with Gurufi because I found an editor with high customer ratings and it was much cheaper than EssayEdge. Every online essay editing service is going to have good and not-so-good editors, so it's hard to recommend a website as a whole as the OP requested. I was just sharing my experience. My point is this - go with a company where you can pick your editor based on their feedback and your needs.

I used a professional editor and the difference was amazing! She charged $50 an hour and after I saw the result, I would have paid triple that!

We conducted everything over email and her turn around was under 24 hours.

Honestly, I would recommend her without reservation.

Send me a message if you want her email/website

Hi, do you mind passing me her contact?
Thanks a million.

Could you also pass the name/contact of the editor? Thanks a million!

Could you pass me the name and the contact of the reader? I'd love to have him/her take a look! Thank you!!!

WhiteCoatChecklist.com is incredibly helpful and professional. Can't say enough good about him.

I am currently working on secondaries and used Gurufi.com and Brian as my editor. He's fantastic, he has a fast turnover, and he helps you edit until you are satisfied. If you are looking for someone to edit your PS/secondaries, I definitely recommend him.

I agree with yasmin731's opinion. I contacted Brian at Gurufi.com and picked him as my editor. I can't imagine to complete my application without his help. Brain helped me in editing my personal statement and other mini writings. He is a talented man who has clearly worked hard at his job for a long time to be this good. Moreover, he knows what adcoms are expecting from PS and secondaries. I think the cost is reasonable. Hope this helps applicants who needs editing on their essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.