Bestest path histo pic ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You all have to see this to actually believe it. I stumbled on it today while perusing a massive cheek and ear-ectomy for a large DFSP. There was an incidental superficial basal cell carcinoma. Nature is funny sometimes.

Low power:

basalcell2.jpg

High power:

basalcell.jpg

I have a feeling this one is going to make the rounds over here...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Nature always does a better job of drawing cock 'n balls than Andy's drunken' photoshop creations.

good stuff man. :laugh: :laugh:

p.s., there's a smiley face to the right of the glans.

Wow. :laugh: Was the selection of representative sections your doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
p.s., there's a smiley face to the right of the glans.
Looks angry to me! As I suppose anyone would be in such a position...

:laugh: :smuggrin: That's great.

actually it's more of a sinister grin. (i guess mother nature went through rounds of chemo and lost all her hair).

Naw- you can't see anything grossly - this is all 1 mm or less. It's just an accident of histologic sectioning that not only is there a tumor, and this tumor is forming two round balls of cancer, but it is adjacent to a hair shaft, and conveniently the hair shaft is sectioned so that the end of it is showing sebaceous glands. And conveniently, adjacent to the sebaceous glands there is some wispy collagen. It's all absolutely perfect! :laugh:

yaah said:
Naw- you can't see anything grossly - this is all 1 mm or less. It's just an accident of histologic sectioning that not only is there a tumor, and this tumor is forming two round balls of cancer, but it is adjacent to a hair shaft, and conveniently the hair shaft is sectioned so that the end of it is showing sebaceous glands. And conveniently, adjacent to the sebaceous glands there is some wispy collagen. It's all absolutely perfect! :laugh:
it's brillliant. this is a sign...

AndyMilonakis said:
it's brillliant. this is a sign...
Yeah, like we're all about to get d*cked - grab your ankles, sweetheart!

This is by far the funniest thing I have seen all day... But then again, I am in the middle of a psych rotation....

Members don't see this ad :)
Lagarta said:
This is by far the funniest thing I have seen all day... But then again, I am in the middle of a psych rotation....

You should have seen me and the fellow laughing about it. We were trying to decide who in our program was mature enough to be able to handle getting this emailed to them. This is like the holy grail of unintentional comedy on a histo slide.

Well, I don't know if I qualify as mature enough to, ahem, handle it, as you put it, but I am glad that you posted it- I needed a laugh!

That's great. I might have to show that around here. We have some folks who'll get a kick out of it.

yaah said:
We were trying to decide who in our program was mature enough to be able to handle getting this emailed to them.
That is probably wiser than my initial impulse, which was to print it out and post it on the residents' room bookshelves.

I think this is the mental image that I will forever associate with Unmatch Day, 2005.

In a recent game of warcraft, i started out the match by asking my opponent, "Are you shakin?" He asked me, "Why?" I told him, cuz when my Death Knight hits level 5, it can morph into a Cock-N-Ballz and lay the smurf smackdown!

Now what if this were really true...imagine how my opponent's hero on the horse would feel if all of a sudden, he saw a penis and two angry testicles chasing after him...

One second, this...
DK.jpg

Next second, this...
penisDK.jpg

I'm bored as hell, if you can't tell. Perhaps another game on bnet is in order.

yaah said:
The problem is that now I am going to be looking for weird shapes instead of looking for the diagnosis.

What's this fixation with the penis, Yaah?

david.jpg

Harbster said:
What's this fixation with the penis, Yaah?]
Almost makes me want to go back to my David Hasselhoff avatar.

geddy said:
Almost makes me want to go back to my David Hasselhoff avatar.

Do it!

AndyMilonakis said:
yaah, these pictures of yours need to go on MadSci's website :D
Agreed! :smuggrin:

Harbster said:
Eat your heart out, Harbster

info_pic1.jpg

Andy, look away from the photo - away, I say! It burns... burns!

I showed the picture to my attending today and he completely lost it. Then I was showing it to the other residents in the room and I told them we signed it out as "Basal Cell Carcinoma, Circumsized Growth Pattern" and then we all lost it.

geddy said:
Eat your heart out, Harbster

info_pic1.jpg

Andy, look away from the photo - away, I say! It burns... burns!
too late. i've gone blind now. my path career is over.

yaah said:
I showed the picture to my attending today and he completely lost it. Then I was showing it to the other residents in the room and I told them we signed it out as "Basal Cell Carcinoma, Circumsized Growth Pattern" and then we all lost it.
Truly, thou art an inspiration! :laugh:

BTW, the guys in the lab thought it was hysterical. :thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
Truly, thou art an inspiration! :laugh:

BTW, the guys in the lab thought it was hysterical. :thumbup:
:laugh: nice Evo. you made that your avatar. can i ask why you didn't pick the part of the picture that was 8 o'clock to the face? :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
:laugh: nice Evo. you made that your avatar. can i ask why you didn't pick the part of the picture that was 8 o'clock to the face? :laugh:
Thanks. And as to your question: I don't wanna get banned. :scared:

EvoDevo said:
Thanks. And as to your question: I don't wanna get banned. :scared:
you would get banned for a histo specimen section? wtf, are people that uptight!?!

AndyMilonakis said:
you would get banned for a histo specimen section? wtf, are people that uptight!?!
Well, I would have to explain that it's *not* a penis, per se......:smuggrin:

Mods hafta set an example for the masses you know. Can't have the pre-allo folks start having genitalia avatars now......

Yeah, I know. It's pathology! Of course, posting the autopsy pic I have of the inside of a guy's skull with the brain falling out probably wouldn't be looked on too fondly either.

EvoDevo said:
Well, I would have to explain that it's *not* a penis, per se......:smuggrin:

Mods hafta set an example for the masses you know. Can't have the pre-allo folks start having genitalia avatars now......

Skin cancer is no laughing matter.

Wait, yes it is. :laugh: Sometimes.

BTW, for those not in the know, there is an entity called, "Basal Cell Carcinoma, circumscribed growth pattern." Hence where my name for it comes from.

EvoDevo said:
Reallly? Good luck with that. :) :luck:
Yeah, the mole's pretty small so I would think removal would be pretty easy if it's necessary. I just want these stupid stitches out of my shoulder. The office is being ******ed about scheduling my f/u appointment, so I may just end up getting my boss to take the damn things out for me. Seriously, they were like "Just schedule a f/u for 2 weeks from now." Then, I go to the front desk and they were like "We're booked solid for the next 4 weeks. Call his nurse and she'll work you in." So, she has yet to be in the office or return my phone calls. Bleargh. :/

deschutes said:
I have suture scissors in my pocket.
Yeah, you've been getting here late at night the past few days - you must be a pro at suture removal by now.

geddy said:
Yeah, you've been getting here late at night the past few days - you must be a pro at suture removal by now.
Takes one to know one, suckAh! :p

3 1/2 weeks into my Surgery rotation and I haven't removed any sutures. (Lots of chromic/Vicryl being used on uro/plastics it seems!)

Tomorrow I FINALLY hook up with my Gen Surg preceptor and do Minor Surgery, so that might change.

Gimme OR. Gimme clinic. Gimme consults. Gimme anything except rounds.

Soo, what do we have here?

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 170
hmm.... that histo pic is pretty funny. But I'm not on the floor laughing. I guess you have to see the genetalia in your work to really appreciate it.

This is actually the avatar of a guy in the pre-dental forum. The funny part is that he chose this as his avatar because he thought it was a generally interesting dental photo, at a neat perspective.

PathOne said:
Soo, what do we have here?

I'm looking for something obscene in there and don't see anything! All I see is like a dermatofibroma pattern, but I haven't done much derm yet.

Uh, I saw it. Teehee.