Bestest path histo pic ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yaah said:
I'm looking for something obscene in there and don't see anything! All I see is like a dermatofibroma pattern, but I haven't done much derm yet.
Maybe if you flip the picture upside down, you'll see what's up...

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
I'm looking for something obscene in there and don't see anything! All I see is like a dermatofibroma pattern, but I haven't done much derm yet.

Gotta do your Derm! Gotta! It's F.U.N. :love:

Also, this little bugger is a Spitz Nevus, which are fascinating, but can be mightily difficult to differentiate from Melanoma. Unfortunately - for both the dermpath and the patient - they're quite rare, and you're not likely to see them often unless you get to see a lot of derm consultancies. :(

Trivia: they're named after Sophie Spitz, a MSKCC pathologist who first described them in 1948 - except that she classified them as Juvenile Melanoma, which is understandable but wrong. They're benign.
Trying to do mutational DNA-analysis on 'em, because there's no benign lesion that more closely mimics aggressive tumors, so they gotta be closely related somehow. :cool:

geddy said:
Eat your heart out, Harbster

info_pic1.jpg

Andy, look away from the photo - away, I say! It burns... burns!

dude........that was just wrong! In his ****in' Speedos? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Harbster said:
dude........that was just wrong! In his ****in' Speedos? :laugh:
:eek: AHHHHHH! My eyes are burning!

yaah said:
The problem is that now I am going to be looking for weird shapes instead of looking for the diagnosis.
I sent the low-power to my class mailing list. Responses came back along the lines of "what the hell?"

Only one guy saw it - and he was post-call. :rolleyes:

Man I am SO glad I am in path.

yaah said:
Naw- you can't see anything grossly - this is all 1 mm or less. It's just an accident of histologic sectioning that not only is there a tumor, and this tumor is forming two round balls of cancer, but it is adjacent to a hair shaft, and conveniently the hair shaft is sectioned so that the end of it is showing sebaceous glands. And conveniently, adjacent to the sebaceous glands there is some wispy collagen. It's all absolutely perfect! :laugh:
I'm just sorry I didn't see this message thread until now!!! Great stuff, yaah! :laugh:

Brian Pavlovitz said:
I'm just sorry I didn't see this message thread until now!!! Great stuff, yaah! :laugh:

Hi Brian Pavlovitz!! How are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Brian Pavlovitz said:
Umm....I'm good. How are you?? WHO are you!! :confused:

Its me!!!!!!! Your very best friend Brian Pavlovitz

deschutes said:
That is probably wiser than my initial impulse, which was to print it out and post it on the residents' room bookshelves.

I think this is the mental image that I will forever associate with Unmatch Day, 2005.

BTW, it is now posted on the shelves of the resident's room, next to all the silly dictation errors.

Yeah, one should not ask the residents if they have a sense of humor. You should be able to pick that up by just observation. Lunch is a great time to see if the one or two folks you go to lunch with have a sense of humor.

Also, you could just whip out the picture at every interview, including the ones with the PD and the chair. Yes, that would be a splendid idea. And if they laugh their asses off and you consider sense of humor to be an important aspect of the program, then you've found your program :laugh:

Is it just me or is there also an adjacent face in the low power pic?

yaah said:
You all have to see this to actually believe it. I stumbled on it today while perusing a massive cheek and ear-ectomy for a large DFSP. There was an incidental superficial basal cell carcinoma. Nature is funny sometimes.

Low power:

basalcell2.jpg

High power:

basalcell.jpg

I have a feeling this one is going to make the rounds over here...:laugh:

deschutes said:
From the sublime level of kewlness that I have achieved... :cool:
Okay. Now, this is just a personal pet peeve of mine, but the rem "kewl" really annoys me. It's aesthetically unpleasing and less efficient. Any true nerd would reject it for those reasons. I am a true nerd.

hmm, just read ALL the posts, guess someone else did see the face... Ill have to make it up with some smiley-face larval migrans pix. we see lots of those.

vetpath said:
hmm, just read ALL the posts, guess someone else did see the face... Ill have to make it up with some smiley-face larval migrans pix. we see lots of those.
Not only did people note the smiley-face, a certain moderator decided to make the smiley-face his avatar!

vetpath said:

Parasites are good for looking like other things!

Placentas and umbilical cords are too. One resident found an area of fetal vessels that look like Edvard Munch's painting, "The Scream." Really kewl. (That was for banana) :cool:

AndyMilonakis said:
Not only did people note the smiley-face, a certain moderator decided to make the smiley-face his avatar!
What kind of loser would do that?

EvoDevo said:
The cancerous kind. :D

Ironically, though, the smilie face is not part of the cancer. It's just a normal sebaceous gland with some hair follicle epithelium intertwined in a cute little fashion. The tumor is limited to the surface!

That's alright though - we can still consider it a tumor. :)

yaah said:
Ironically, though, the smilie face is not part of the cancer. It's just a normal sebaceous gland with some hair follicle epithelium intertwined in a cute little fashion. The tumor is limited to the surface!

That's alright though - we can still consider it a tumor. :)
Why is that ironic?

If the tumor were limited to the surface, it'd just be once cell layer thick, no?

bananaface said:
Why is that ironic?

If the tumor were limited to the surface, it'd just be once cell layer thick, no?

No, not necessarily. It's a superficial tumor because it hasn't invaded deep into the dermis. Number of cell layers is not the way to think about it. Some tumors don't think in layers.

It's ironic because the smilie face is not a tumor. But I think we have different definitions of irony, as we have discussed before. It is one of the words where I do not always go with the literal interpretation. :p

yaah said:
It's ironic because the smilie face is not a tumor. It is one of the words where I do not always go with the literal interpretation. :p
I didn't even think of it as a smiley face. I thought it was a snarley face. Or a PFO face.

But maybe I am just being literal :rolleyes:

These path pictures are really cool. I had a bigass ovarian tumor (serous cystadenoma - 12 cm - ouch!!) removed last year. I really wanted to see it and to see slides of it, but they said there was no way I could. Now I really wish I had - maybe there would have been a cool face or something. :)

beary said:
These path pictures are really cool. I had a bigass ovarian tumor (serous cystadenoma - 12 cm - ouch!!) removed last year. I really wanted to see it and to see slides of it, but they said there was no way I could. Now I really wish I had - maybe there would have been a cool face or something. :)

They said no way? That's not right. Anybody should be able to see their path slides. I guess it's just that they are worried for legal reasons and things will be misinterpreted.

Serous cystadenoma not likely to have smilie faces in it though. Single cell layer, some fibrous tissue underneath.

HIPAA says that you can access any part of your medical record. If you were to write a request citing HIPAA and the healthcare system's privacy policy, I'm pretty sure they'd have to release any history they have, graphical or textual.

yaah said:
No, not necessarily. It's a superficial tumor because it hasn't invaded deep into the dermis. Number of cell layers is not the way to think about it. Some tumors don't think in layers.
I will concede on this point, only if you can grasp the concept of evolution as change over time, and separate from the concept of natural selection.

yaah said:
They said no way? That's not right. Anybody should be able to see their path slides. I guess it's just that they are worried for legal reasons and things will be misinterpreted.

I totally agree. They gave a copy of a text path report but there were no pictures. I just got the sense that it would be inconvenient for whoever (somebody would have to make a phone call, oh no) so they didn't want to mess with it.

beary said:
I totally agree. They gave a copy of a text path report but there were no pictures. I just got the sense that it would be inconvenient for whoever (somebody would have to make a phone call, oh no) so they didn't want to mess with it.

Well, if you contact the pathologist on the report, say you are interested in path, and want to see your slides, I bet they would be happy to.

if your interested you can be happy

yaah said:
Skin cancer is no laughing matter.

Wait, yes it is. :laugh: Sometimes.

BTW, for those not in the know, there is an entity called, "Basal Cell Carcinoma, circumscribed growth pattern." Hence where my name for it comes from.
You know, in the never ending tradition of naming diseases after the discoverers (Hashimoto's thyroditis, Ebstein-Barr virus), you shoulda named it Yaah's (<-- real name) penis BCC.

Yes, working hard to find a disease I can name after myself. Or better yet: A syndrome.

That would be kewl, like Kamino Bodies, Reed-Sternberg, Rosai-Dorfman, Kaposi's.

Well, I now have a reputation because I was looking at a slide with a senior resident today and he pointed out a mitotic figure that vaguely looked like a penis and he said I would probably be interested in it. :rolleyes:

yaah said:
Well, I now have a reputation because I was looking at a slide with a senior resident today and he pointed out a mitotic figure that vaguely looked like a penis and he said I would probably be interested in it. :rolleyes:
Yeah that's great. "Hey it's a penis! Go get yaah! He probably wants to see it!" :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
a flying eagle with a penis?

That would have required a higher level of magnification. Although it was a big mitotic figure and size does matter when it comes to mitotic figures.

I got a really cool SEM of a big biofilm today. Every single person I showed it too was very definitive about what it looked like, and they all thought something different. :) I thought it looked like a bird. Also heard plane, fish, dinosaur, praying mantis, and many others. It was fun - felt like a Rorscach test.