Beth Israel (BIMC) Vs. NYHQ?

Started by MrBling
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MrBling

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I liked both programs, and both are ranked fairly highly (top 5).. but I'm having trouble on which to rank a higher.

Both ERs were alittle cramped and both have a fairly diverse population. I thought the residents and faculty at BIMC were extremely friendly but wasn't thrilled about their peds exposure (seems their peds ER has fairly low volume, although you get to spend a 2 months at jacobi).. they are also level II trauma, but you have a few months over at elmhurst (undecided if thats a + or - yet.. not to ding elmhurst, b/c i loved it when i went there for sinai's interview, just feel that i might feel more comfortable with fairly consistent exposure to management of traumas).

I liked NYHQ and feel they have great pathology and diversity, plus they are level I (with a month in NV).. if anything, a negative is probably their location in flushing. Not sure how their peds exposure is relative to BIMC.

Any thoughts/insights from people who have seen both places?
 
I liked both programs as well, would have ranked them both super-high if it wasn't for the fact that I was looking to get out of NYC for residency. I think trauma is perfectly adequate at both places -- at BI you do several rotations at Elmhurst, which is a very well-run trauma center with a good mix of pathology (knife, gun, ped struck, fall, etc.). At NYHQ, the program itself is a level 1, so any given shift you could be putting in a chest tube, or whatever. But realistically, it's a lower volume place, so you don't get as much, and at least when I was there last year -- the NYHQ traumas weren't running like a well-oiled machine, the way they do at higher volume centers. The LV experience more than compensates for this, though. As far as peds, I think NYHQ has a legit peds ER with peds-EM attendings and decent pathology. I think it is much more important to see a regular flow of sick kids throughout residency than it is to see awesome trauma regularly. Trauma is pretty cookbook after your 10th chest tube and 3rd thoracotomy -- super-sick kids will terrify you for the rest of your life, and you need to get comfortable with common complaints of not-so-sick kids, as that will be ~20% of your patients out in most nromal community ED's.

I think both programs have really warm, supportive faculty and cool, down-to-earth, diverse housestaff. A good mix of folks from around the NYC area and across the country at both places. Everyone seemed to get along really well as a class. Both have good salary and benefits (i.e. housing). Both are pretty diverse patient populations, though I got the feeling that NYHQ had a LOT of Mandarin- or Korean-only patients, which was kind of a negative for me (I spent years learning Spanish, and knew I'd get to use that a lot more at BI, Elmhurst, and Jacobi).

I ended up ranking NYHQ higher because I had slightly better chemistry with the people and I didn't want to deal with the expense of living in Manhattan (esp. once BI got rid of their best housing building), when I could pay subsidized rent in Queens and just go out to Manhattan when I wanted to do the nightlife thing. This is what a lot of my friends at Jacobi do -- pay super-low rent, and they're about an hour away from Manhattan by Subway. You definitely can't go wrong with either program. Good luck!:luck:


I liked both programs, and both are ranked fairly highly (top 5).. but I'm having trouble on which to rank a higher.

Both ERs were alittle cramped and both have a fairly diverse population. I thought the residents and faculty at BIMC were extremely friendly but wasn't thrilled about their peds exposure (seems their peds ER has fairly low volume, although you get to spend a 2 months at jacobi).. they are also level II trauma, but you have a few months over at elmhurst (undecided if thats a + or - yet.. not to ding elmhurst, b/c i loved it when i went there for sinai's interview, just feel that i might feel more comfortable with fairly consistent exposure to management of traumas).

I liked NYHQ and feel they have great pathology and diversity, plus they are level I (with a month in NV).. if anything, a negative is probably their location in flushing. Not sure how their peds exposure is relative to BIMC.

Any thoughts/insights from people who have seen both places?