Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeelover10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be my dream to be able to attend this institution for IM Residency.

I understand that there are many factors that go into getting an interview/match, but any idea on what the avg step score is?

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahahahaha either OP just read House of God, or really needs to read House of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The question is what is your school's rank? There is a very particular trend at the very top residency programs. They are very insular and keep most of their pool limited to home or top 5/10/20 students.

Our modestly ranked school interacts very closely with a Top 5 school and Top 5 hospital in the country. We are less than a mile apart. We match the same programs when we have an extra ~20-25 points on the usmle and have research done along side their students under the same attendings with our names on the same papers.

If you are talking about Penn, Penn just likes prestige.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except isn't BID the most community like program of Harvard?

If you are talking about Penn, Penn just likes prestige.

I thought he was talking about Penn at first also, but it could also be Tufts and Harvard, or Maybe SLU and Wash U right?

Yep, Penn. I know they're the worst offender but Harvard and Columbia are the next worst offenders.

Our class has ~20 students every year that are extraordinary. As in 240/250 usmle with a research year or MD-PhD track. They constantly match into programs like Mayo, Yale, Hopkins, Wash U, UW, Uchicago, NYU, etc. But Harvard, NY-P, and Stanford have yet to one of our students outside of pathology or anesthesiology.

I don't think 240s & a research year is something extraordinary, sorry.

However, I am also interested in BIDMC

Reactions: 4 users
The problem with BIDMC is that BWH is its neighbor.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've heard it's really not that competitive, especially not in comparison to mgh and bwh

I know a bunch of people that went there, including a good friend from med school. It seems the avg. board score is in the 240+ range, moreover it seems the program tries to be a little more broad with the med schools interns/residents come from (as opposed to heavily favoring big name schools) and poaching the best applicants from the mid/lower-tier med schools (applicants who have everything but a prestigious med school on their app), as well as taking some from the top med schools.

Yep, Penn. I know they're the worst offender but Harvard and Columbia are the next worst offenders.

Our class has ~20 students every year that are extraordinary. As in 240/250 usmle with a research year or MD-PhD track. They constantly match into programs like Mayo, Yale, Hopkins, Wash U, UW, Uchicago, NYU, etc. But Harvard, NY-P, and Stanford have yet to one of our students outside of pathology or anesthesiology.

I am going to Penn for IR fellowship. I'll let you know how it goes.
Haven't read it, but judging by the upvotes, it seems like I should..

House of god takes place at MGH

No it takes place at BID. Beth Israel hospital is "the house of god" originally built for Jewish patients who were getting poor to no treatment during the height of anti-seminism in the early twentieth century.

MGH is parodied during the novel by being referred to as "mans best hospital"

Oops my bad. Thought man's best hospital was the house of God.

No it takes place at BID. Beth Israel hospital is "the house of god" originally built for Jewish patients who were getting poor to no treatment during the height of anti-semitism in the early twentieth century.

Thanks for getting that one. That's why it's called "House of God," because that's very roughly what "Beth Israel" means in English.

No it takes place at BID. Beth Israel hospital is "the house of god" originally built for Jewish patients who were getting poor to no treatment during the height of anti-semitism in the early twentieth century.

It's been awhile since I read it but wasn't it Man's Greatest Hospital? In the book he says his wife at the time was a surgery resident there, which explains why he had so much time for "extracurricular" activity.

Edit: nope, googled it and you're right

Since this thread is about BIDMC IM residency, I assume you're talking about IM here also. How is Columbia a bad offender? Here are the non-top 10-20 schools represented from across the current IM residents at NYP-Columbia:

SUNY Upstate
Albany Medical College
Drexel
UT San Antonio
Rutgers
Baylor
U Hawaii
UNC
Albert Einstein
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
UVA
NYMC
University of Arizona
University of Maryland
Case Western
Ohio State
SUNY Stony Brook
U Miami
Florida International University
Wayne State
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Tulane
George Washington
UMass
USC

I am sure there are more that I missed. I think it is a common misconception that everyone there is from Harvard/Yale/Columbia/Hopkins/Stanford. This is an enormous mix of schools from across the country. Nepotism exists everywhere but I don't really see Columbia being such a remarkable offender of this as you say.

It would be my dream to be able to attend this institution for IM Residency.

I understand that there are many factors that go into getting an interview/match, but any idea on what the avg step score is?

Probably high 240-low 250s as my guess is as good as anyone's outside the PDs.