Better state to apply in: FL or CT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suess

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
FL has lower stats for matriculants (511.2/3.73) and a ~34% acceptance rate (19.9%IS and 14.4%OOS). CT has higher stats for matriculants (513.4/3.73) and 52% acceptance rate (24.2%IS and 27.5%OOS).

CT schools (UCONN and Netter) are more IS selective, at a rate of about 6-7.7x, when looking at the ratio between percent IS applicants vs IS matriculants. (UCONN 13.4%IS apps vs. 80%IS matriculants and Netter 5.4%IS apps vs. 41.5%IS matriculants). I am not competitive for Yale so I'm not including them.

FL schools are less IS selective, at a rate of 1.16-2.5, when looking at that same ratio.

I guess my question boils down to this: is the greater number of FL schools (8 vs. CT's 2) and 2.2 point lower MCAT among FL applicants worth the lesser IS preference...or does CT's greater IS preference outweigh its lower number of schools and more competitive applicant pool?

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't the answer totally depend on your MCAT score and where you would rather go to school? :)

The lower your MCAT score, the less CT's IS preference helps you. Similarly, if you really don't want to be in CT, or UConn or Netter specifically as compared to UF or USF, etc., what difference does the CT IS preference make?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT scores are, on average, lower for URM matriculants than non-URM matriculants and lower for applicants from lower SES than higher. Connecticut has a higher median family income than Florida ($101K, vs 71K) and a smaller proportion of URM in the population. So, the lower MCAT in Florida could be an artifact of population which have no bearing on how you'll be assessed as an individual applicant. Just throwing that out there as an explanation for the difference between the two pools.

Reactions: 1 users