Better to live closer to home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biofreak126

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there all!

I'm from SoCal and I'm trying to decide between my acceptances at AZCOM and Western/COMP. I've already read just about every post on the pros and cons of each school, and having visited both schools, I can see myself being happy at either. So my decision is really going to come down to how far I want to be from my friends and family. Some people say that the demands of med school are so much and cause so much stress that it would be beneficial to have a support system nearby. Others have said that it would be a good opportunity to get out on my own and not have the temptation/distraction from studying of wanting to go home on weekends. I'd appreciate any thoughts from current DO students about what came into play when they were deciding. Like I said, I'm sold on both schools so I don't need convincing that one is better than the other. I'm just not sure if it would be better to stay in SoCal or get out on my own. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For me that question was answered because I am married with a child. If I were single and uninvolved with anyone serious, I would take the opportunity to go somewhere new.

As it is, I don't want to make my husband try to find new employment, I don't want to take my daughter out of the schools she is in and away from the friends that she has. Our friends and family are the people that will help when my schedule gets really tough. If I am on rotations in 3rd or 4th year and my husband has to travel for work (which happens every now and then). We need people around that we trust to help take care of our daughter.

When I am driving my husband mad with my schedule and my stress, he will have someone around to talk to about it and not just put it back on me because I am the only person around. He needs his own support group as much as I need him to be mine.

This is a difficult question for anyone else to answer, because it depends so much on your personal situation. If it were up to me, my first obligation would be to a spouse/family if you have one(assuming all else is equal with the schools in question). If, however, you are single and haven't ever lived too far from home, I would take the opportunity to see a new part of the country. You can always return to your home area after med school is over if you want. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!

I go to Western U and I actually live at home and i don't know what I would do if I didn't have the support of my family so close. But I think it depends on who you are and what you are comfortable with. Med school is extremely stressful and it is nice having support outside of your med school friends to depend on. And it lets you have contact with the outside world. I like living at home and I don't know how I would have gotten through without having my home support. But at the same time moving far away you are still just a phone call away from family.

I hope that helped.

I would say get away from home.

If you didn't for college...it's time now.

Being away from home helps me to focus on school. I have been in Philadelphia going on 5 years. It's nice to have a home and a "home-home", if you will.

Medical school has a tough schedule. Support system is good, don't get me wrong, but I also know of families who have a hard time adjusting along with the student.

If there is nothing tying you down, then maybe breaking free would be good for you.

Also, you need to heavily consider which school would work out better for you. That's what counts.

Good luck