Between 3.4 and 3.5 - the twilight zone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Dachshund Puppy

Weiner Dog
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
B

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget that AMCAS calculates GPA with +/- .

Red Wiener Dog,
Most members on this forum do not pay much attention to crystal ball guesses of "what are my chances?"
I understand that at moments of doubt, all you really want is some reassurance. Unfortunately for you, this is not the place.
I will tell you though that you are still in a good position. I got in with a 3.4 but I did well on the MCAT. Do your best and don't ask other pre-meds (meds) for support. Otherwise, you will hear all the common myths that discourage students from applying (You can't have a "C", must be over 3.7, etc.). Do not subject yourself to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
little red puppy wants reassurance and that is just what I shall give. i got in with a 3.12 gpa. does that make you feel better?
of course you have a shot, it just makes things harder. like i say to everyone else who asks this kind of question...if you want it bad enough, nothing can stop you...especially not a 3.4 gpa.
:eek: :mad: :D :rolleyes: :p :( :cool:

The higher your MCAT, the better your chances. If you are under 30 on the MCAT, I think that would probably hurt your chances substantially.

Originally posted by yigit:
if you want it bad enough, nothing can stop you

I like that!!!!!!
:p :oops: :D

Hey, yigit, thanks :) I definitely know what it's like to want that crystal-ball-reassurance (not that you believe it anyway when you get it!). However, your GPA gives me hope - lots of it. Were you non-traditional? How high was your MCAT? Masters degree? Ugh - I just need a grandma to say "it'll be fine, honey".

Keeping my fingers crossed.... :p

Originally posted by ATC2MD:
•I just need a grandma to say "it'll be fine, honey".•

Last year one of my friends got accepted so he went to tell his grandma about this momentous occasion. Her reply, "That's nice honey, do you want some tomatoes?"

He asked her if she understood how important it was, and she said "I know, I just thought you might want some tomatoes."

I guess some people will never understand what we go through. :)

OK, depending on how you look at it, my story is either encouraging or discouraging. It's encouraging that someone with a 3.12 can get into medical school, but most people will be discouraged by what I had to go through to get there. If you really want to know what I did, send me an email ([email protected]) and I'd love to tell you all about it. I'm not sure I'm ready to post it, but I will prove the statement that if you want it bad enough, no one can stop you. :eek: ;) :mad: :D :rolleyes: :oops: :( :D

it's all a crap shoot!!! good luck.

To Yigit: Good for you and I believe you surely deserved your acceptance. However, statistically your success is far from the common experience and always there are special circumstances which account for it. Whatever it was, relatively few applicants will find themselves in your circumstances. There is an old saying with much truth to it: "one swallow doth not a summer make" and another that "the exception proves the rule", in this case the rule that most do need good numbers.

Mojo: the AMCAS application instructions explain how grades are to be entered depending on the credit and grading system used by your college. No courses are left out, including withdrawals, incompletes and repeats.

Like most males who will never ask for directions if lost when driving, my motto has often been "when all else fails, read the directions." Both are foolish attitudes, of course.

May the Force be with all of you!