Between Pitt and Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ec37

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the choice I have to make. I've read discussion between Pitt vs. Pritzker and I was hoping that those familiar with these schools especially with Pitt can say how they feel about this comparison. I have the impression that Pitt is geared towards those with an interest in family medicine. Do you agree?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, chicago is known as an extremely intellectual institution, so my guess would be that they would have a tendancy to produce academic physicians, dedidicated to the advancement of science, blah blah blah. I would pick pritzker by the way!!

I interviewed at both and liked both, I'm going to pritzker next year. Pritzker definately takes pride in their rep for putting a large % into academic medicine, and reserach is as strong suit of the university. I would say that yes, Pitt is more neurally geared, with family medicine as a stronger focus than at pritzker. Schools have very different curriculums and very different surroundings. Pritzker students match more commonly into bigger 'name' academic hospitials, but I would suspect that a large reason for this is what I said before, more academic medicine interest amongst Pritzker students. Doing well at either school can clearly put you anywhere you want to be residency-wise. I say go to the school that you liked better, I liked the atmosphere at pritzker a lot better, I just felt like I clicked with it. If the same thing happened for you at Pitt, go for it. Also go to the city you want to be in, they are very different. Its a nice decision to be making, maybe I'll see you next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah dude, i dont think reputation makes any difference here. it comes down to vibe, location, and curriculum. from what i understand, chicago (dunno, didn't apply but this is what i heard) is very lecture based, whereas pitt is pretty pbl-integrated-modern curriculum. cities are totally different. and vibe, well can only talk about pitt because didn't visit chicago, pitt seemed really really laid back with the happiest and most enthusiastic student body i've seen at any school.

you should revisit and see which school feels righter. as for research, i think pitt actually gets more NIH funding than chicago, so don't think that if you want to go into academics or research, that chicago will open more doors.

And how much is financial aid playing a role in this decision? How do you guys feel about going into a ton of debt?

hey, has anyone received a financial aid package from Pitt yet??? I'm still waiting...