Hopkins vs. Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It’s Over!!!

Reaction score
Just when I had all but decided to go to Hopkins (my first choice) because debt at Hopkins and Pritzker would be about the same, I received a revised scholarship award letter this morning from Pritzker (my very, very close second choice) for 75 percent tuition. I've already written to Hopkins to see if they are willing to revisit my small scholarship.

But the scenario where Hopkins doesn't match or come up with significantly more money is where I need your help! I come from a family that I guess makes just enough to not qualify for need based aid but nowhere near enough to pay for medical school. My parents cannot and will not be contributing to the cost of medical school. I will be taking out loans for the full cost of attendance (less any merit scholarships) wherever I go. And that terrifies me!

Putting money aside, it is a very close call. I know I would be extraordinarily happy at either school. They literally have been my first and second choices since the beginning of this process. Hopkins probably has the very slight edge as it is much closer to my support system (main reason) and has the ever so marginally better name in medicine and the decidedly more established name in public health (both less important).

But, if I'm honest, the money is a SIGNIFICANT concern for me. VERY SIGNIFICANT.

Thanks in advance!! I'm so grateful for the support the SDN community has given me and I hope I've been able to give back!

Hopkins (about 25 percent tuition scholarship, total debt: $350,000)

Pros:
--My dream school all along
--Best overall fit of all schools applied to
--Arguably best name in medicine and top match list
--Social disparities in healthcare has been my research focus and Hopkins serves an under served community
--Very interested in an MPH and Hopkins is arguably best in MPH
--Close to significant other and family
--Second look was amazing
--Loved everything about the school, the program, and the vibe.
--Proximity to other great cities: New York, Washington, Philadelphia
--Weather far better than Chicago

Cons:
--$150,000 more debt than Pritzker
--Baltimore, while very interesting, is not as interesting to me as Chicago
--Safety may be even more of an issue than it is on the south side of Chicago

Pritzker (75 percent tuition scholarship, total debt: $200,000)

Pros:
--A very close second only to Hopkins all along in where I wanted to go.
--Second best overall fit of all schools I applied to
--Top school and top match list
--Social disparities in healthcare has been my research focus and Pritzker serves an under served community
--Second look was amazing
--Loved everything about the school, the program, and the vibe.
--I love the city of Chicago.

Cons:
--It's not Hopkins. Will I always wonder should I have gone to Hopkins? But then again, it is Pritzker!!
--MPH is far less established (only started in 2021)
--Far (plane ride) away from significant other and family
--Safety in and around Hyde Park is an issue
--Weather is not great

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disclosure: A at Hopkins and did not interview at Pritzker.

The $150K difference may seem a lot, but I think you'll be able to pay off rather easily once you start working! And COL in Baltimore is significantly lower than Chicago, so that might offset the price difference too.

All the pros you have for Chicago are also the pros for Hopkins, except for the city, so they pretty much cancel each other out, and thus you definitely have more pros for Hopkins.

Lastly, Hopkins has always been your dream and you wouldn't want to live with any regrets ;)

Ps. HAVEN'T YOU BEEN THE BIGGEST ADVOCATE FOR HOPKINS ON THIS FORUM?!??!!

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Disclosure: A at Hopkins and did not interview at Pritzker.

The $150K difference may seem a lot, but I think you'll be able to pay off rather easily once you start working! And COL in Baltimore is significantly lower than Chicago, so that might offset the price difference too.

All the pros you have for Chicago are also the pros for Hopkins, except for the city, so they pretty much cancel each other out, and thus you definitely have more pros for Hopkins.

Lastly, Hopkins has always been your dream and you wouldn't want to live with any regrets ;)

Ps. HAVEN'T YOU BEEN THE BIGGEST ADVOCATE FOR HOPKINS ON THIS FORUM?!??!!
I absolutely have!!! I'm also a pretty HUGE fan and booster of Pritzker too, though.

But if I am honest, even $200,000 debt at Pritzker sounds enormous and Hopkins would be almost double that. Absent $ from Hopkins, I probably will have to choose the cheaper route. I know I would be very happy at Pritzker.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the amazing cycle, btw, and hope to see you at Hopkins!

• Love
Caveat: did not apply to Hopkins and admitted to Prtizker, but will not be attending (even though I love, love the school and I'm from Chicago)

I'm also extremely debt conscious, like it's easily been a top 3 factor for my school choice. For loans it's important to keep in mind both the loan interest rate in med school/residency (plus the future of the SAVE plan is uncertain) and the lost time value of money. When you're an attending, you could take that money, invest it, and earn minimum 5% interest per year instead of having to pay down $150k + loan interest. They're both very good choices, but something to keep in mind (also if you'll want to do something interdisciplinary in business/law, Pritzker will have way better resources).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Caveat: did not apply to Hopkins and admitted to Prtizker, but will not be attending (even though I love, love the school and I'm from Chicago)

I'm also extremely debt conscious, like it's easily been a top 3 factor for my school choice. For loans it's important to keep in mind both the loan interest rate in med school/residency (plus the future of the SAVE plan is uncertain) and the lost time value of money. When you're an attending, you could take that money, invest it, and earn minimum 5% interest per year instead of having to pay down $150k + loan interest. They're both very good choices, but something to keep in mind (also if you'll want to do something interdisciplinary in business/law, Pritzker will have way better resources).
Excellent points. Thank you!

I agree. I feel like people on SDN and Reddit always turn back to the fact that we’ll be doctors and will be able to pay it off. But it’s a real issue that will follow you in life and be a burden whether you can pay it or not. I feel like once you reach a certain caliber of prestige then it really stops making that big of a difference

• Love
I agree. I feel like people on SDN and Reddit always turn back to the fact that we’ll be doctors and will be able to pay it off. But it’s a real issue that will follow you in life and be a burden whether you can pay it or not. I feel like once you reach a certain caliber of prestige then it really stops making that big of a difference
Very true. Thank you!

Wonderful options! I'm also between Pritzker and another school. If it were me in this decision, I would say Pritzker all the way! At least for me, the burden of debt is not just financial, but also mental. I think the thought of THAT much debt from Hopkins would feel like a dark cloud over me for the next decade, especially knowing the debt burden could have been less at an equally amazing school. You're gonna kill it no matter where you go.

• Care
Wonderful options! I'm also between Pritzker and another school. If it were me in this decision, I would say Pritzker all the way! At least for me, the burden of debt is not just financial, but also mental. I think the thought of THAT much debt from Hopkins would feel like a dark cloud over me for the next decade, especially knowing the debt burden could have been less at an equally amazing school. You're gonna kill it no matter where you go.
Thank you so much for you thoughts! Yes I know I have been crazy lucky this cycle. Sounds like you have too. Congrats doctor!!!

• Care
I know and have seen you throughout this thread as a big advocate for Hopkins. However, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely choose Pritzker. The difference in debt is too large to warrant consideration. Your pros are very strong for both schools, but the cons of Hopkins far outweigh the cons at Pritzker.

Regardless, you're going to kill it wherever you go. Congrats and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Re: the MPH concern, you could always do your MPH at Hopkins! One of the M4 students at second look shared that she did this!