bg questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duck2005

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

BioSci- remember the question where something (an alcohol) reacts to form an aldehyde and then an ester? (or was the sequence diff). they asked how to tell if the rxn is progressing...which IR value. 1050 for C-O or 1700 for C=O. I said 1700, since alcohols also have the C-O bond.

What about PS. Remember shooting the arrow into the ballistic pendulum. what was the question where we had to find velocity. I got v = sqrt something over something.

What was the trap for--when boiling acetone?
collect acetone?

Verbal-
what were some of the ?s on social security...what was the one when noe of the answer choices was "40 yrs something".

what was the answer to the invention/schemas question about the gelatin house?

i think the warbler passage was experimental.

what were some of the ?s in the passage on bears?
?s from the ice age/glacies/antartica passage?

psuedoscience, france, morality/faith/religion, and feminism passages seemed pretty straightforward. cept was there a question where they said "what is the author referring to as the Lowest form of immorality" into which a person can fall". what were the choices for this question?

Members don't see this ad.

duck2005 said:
hello

BioSci- remember the question where something (an alcohol) reacts to form an aldehyde and then an ester? (or was the sequence diff). they asked how to tell if the rxn is progressing...which IR value. 1050 for C-O or 1700 for C=O. I said 1700, since alcohols also have the C-O bond.

What about PS. Remember shooting the arrow into the ballistic pendulum. what was the question where we had to find velocity. I got v = sqrt something over something.

What was the trap for--when boiling acetone?
collect acetone?

Verbal-
what were some of the ?s on social security...what was the one when noe of the answer choices was "40 yrs something".

what was the answer to the invention/schemas question about the gelatin house?

i think the warbler passage was experimental.

what were some of the ?s in the passage on bears?
?s from the ice age/glacies/antartica passage?

psuedoscience, france, morality/faith/religion, and feminism passages seemed pretty straightforward. cept was there a question where they said "what is the author referring to as the Lowest form of immorality" into which a person can fall". what were the choices for this question?

For the alcohol turning into a aldehyde/ester, I put the peak at 3500 would be good for examining progress. My reasoning is that if you only look at the carbonyl peak, it would be the same in the middle of the reaction or at the completion of the reaction, therefore it's not really good marking the progress of the reaction. The disappearance of the alcohol peak at 3500 would mark the end of the reaction.

I also put that the trap was to collect acetone.

And I don't remember the rest....thank god! Hopefully by next week, I won't remember a thing :)

actually, i dont think it was alcohol -> aldehyde -> ester. i dont think that makes sense. either there wasn't an aldehyde part...or, there was a COOH instead of the ester.

I think it was asking for progress for alcohol -> ester. the alcohol attacks a carboxylic derivative though..so ur right, it should be the disappearance of the 3500 peak

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was alcohol to aldehyde to ether. I put 1700 beceause of disapperance of carbonyl. I dont remember a thing on verbal though. I thought the experimental in the Physical sciences was the rainbow question. They tried to do too much with that question. what do you think. Bill

Alos the stretch for alcohols is 3300/cm not 3500 so duck2005 you are right.

Big Bill said:
Alos the stretch for alcohols is 3300/cm not 3500 so duck2005 you are right.

The stretching for an alcohol peak is from 3600-3200 and is a broad peak. It is not precisely at 3500 or 3300. That is incorrect. As for the question, I think it was alcohol to ketone to ester, not to ether. For some reason now, I believe the question specifically asked for the progress of the first reaction, not the entire scheme.

leiface said:
The stretching for an alcohol peak is from 3600-3200 and is a broad peak. It is not precisely at 3500 or 3300. That is incorrect. As for the question, I think it was alcohol to ketone to ester, not to ether. For some reason now, I believe the question specifically asked for the progress of the first reaction, not the entire scheme.

agreed..........

true yet you look for the peak at 3300-3400, and I think the question did go to an ester yet it was about the first step.

how does one go from alcohol -> aldehyde -> ester anyways.
im thinking it may have been an alcohol reacting with a COOH derivative to form the ester..

i said there was a peak of 2850....this is the peak corresponding to the aldehyde...i guess i am wrong :-(

kegalman when you said that the demon is the verbal section you are right. I mean the only missing is the pea soup.