Bid...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get some thoughts on this program?

My thoughts: + loved Boston, + liked their curriculum, + rotations at a VA and Dana Farber, + energetic residents, +/- couldn't get a read on the PD but she seemed quite friendly and energetic, +/- the two neighboring hospitals, ++ the computer system, + the call schedule.

Where exactly does this place stand in terms of academic reputation? With whom is it on the same level? Will doors be open (fellowships, jobs, faculty positions, etc.) because I trained at BID vs., say, Brown? or Penn? or Yale? I know BID is a Harvard hospital in the fullest sense, but also that it isn't MGH or BWH in terms of reputation. So just how strong is its reputation? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who did a rotation at BIDMC, I can interject a bit.. I would say that BIDMC is not quite up there with Penn, probably on par with Yale, and a bit better known nationally than Brown. However, all of these programs have great fellowship matches and will take you wherever you want to go. I would have liked to have gotten an interview there, but after reading some of the comments made about the PD at Scutwork.com and meeting a girl who did some rather ethically questionable things to get an interview there, I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't a blessing in disguise for me (personally, that is, everyone is affected differently by such things). BIDMC is a great program though, and I think the reputation comparison to BWH/MGH is a bit overemphasized. If you want to work with top-notch faculty and don't mind sharing the patient population with residents from BU and the other 2 Harvard hospitals, it's a great place to be. But if you prefer to be at a hospital that's "the only game in town" I'd go with Yale or Brown, which won't leave you short-changed in any way. best, ireland.

I did a month there as well, and I think that the main selling point is the housestaff. That said, multiple residents complained that the PD could be more accessible. Fellowship matches are strong, especially for Harvard fellowships. The faculty is strong, so you should expect not to have problems matching well if you work hard. Yes, it's not MGH, BWH, Hopkins, and the like, but wondering where it stands compared to other strong programs seems to be more splitting hairs and getting overly stressed. By that, I mean the quality of your application and who's in your corner probably outweigh the differences in overall reputation between BID and Yale or Brown.

Irlandesa, I wouldn't sweat the interview snub. We all know the process is part horsesh*t anyway, and that a lot of qualified people get left out for what would appear to be arbitrary reasons. I don't know if it's very fair to have your image of BID tarnished by the unethical behavior of an applicant, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
irlandesa said:
As someone who did a rotation at BIDMC, I can interject a bit.. I would say that BIDMC is not quite up there with Penn, probably on par with Yale, and a bit better known nationally than Brown. However, all of these programs have great fellowship matches and will take you wherever you want to go. I would have liked to have gotten an interview there, but after reading some of the comments made about the PD at Scutwork.com and meeting a girl who did some rather ethically questionable things to get an interview there, I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't a blessing in disguise for me (personally, that is, everyone is affected differently by such things). BIDMC is a great program though, and I think the reputation comparison to BWH/MGH is a bit overemphasized. If you want to work with top-notch faculty and don't mind sharing the patient population with residents from BU and the other 2 Harvard hospitals, it's a great place to be. But if you prefer to be at a hospital that's "the only game in town" I'd go with Yale or Brown, which won't leave you short-changed in any way. best, ireland.
Do share what she did!

cubby said:
Can I get some thoughts on this program?

My thoughts: + loved Boston, + liked their curriculum, + rotations at a VA and Dana Farber, + energetic residents, +/- couldn't get a read on the PD but she seemed quite friendly and energetic, +/- the two neighboring hospitals, ++ the computer system, + the call schedule.

Where exactly does this place stand in terms of academic reputation? With whom is it on the same level? Will doors be open (fellowships, jobs, faculty positions, etc.) because I trained at BID vs., say, Brown? or Penn? or Yale? I know BID is a Harvard hospital in the fullest sense, but also that it isn't MGH or BWH in terms of reputation. So just how strong is its reputation? Thanks.
I think, in terms of reputation, BID is way below Penn, way below Stanford, a bit below Yale or on par with Yale, and above Brown. Just my opinion though.

Pili said:
I think, in terms of reputation, BID is way below Penn, way below Stanford, a bit below Yale or on par with Yale, and above Brown. Just my opinion though.

Individually, I would say that Yale is a slightly stronger program in that it has better fellowship matches. BID's advantage is that it's that it's boston with potential access to strong faculty for research at MGH and DFCI and BWH just because they're in town. One on one though, Yale's stronger. Penn and Yale are about the same. Stanford's clinical training is definitely not as strong as many. Given it's location in Palo Alto, you get a lot of patients from suburbia, though they do have the VA and county hospital to balance it out a bit - but those are only a few months. They've got top notch research though... but we're not here to get PhD's. Having UCSF nearby-clearly much stronger- probably doesn't help them either.

well, I have to give the girl who got the interview credit for learning how to manipulate the system, even if it's not in a way that is completely fair to other applicants and the program. I probably should have been smarter myself in that way, and yes, may have had a bit of sour grapes in labelling her unethical when I think about it, though I still believe her actions to be rather inappropriate. I don't think it's up to me to publicly "out" another applicant's behavior, plus could get myself into trouble if her/my identity was revealed (we interviewed at some of the same places). However, if you want to PM me, I'll share some of the details as long as you are not from any of the institutions involved.

Back to BIDMC, good reputation, really like the residents, can't go wrong with it, love Boston, etc. In spite of my less than pleasant experience with the application process, I have nothing but respect for it. But.. the rumors about the PD would have been of concern to me considering that a number of the PD's I've met on the interview trail pretty much sold me the program. I have several friends who have pushed BIDMC down on their rank lists for this very reason.

I think the reports about the PD are blown out of proportion. I think people should base their decision on their own experiences and not soley base their decisions on the words posted on scutwork.com 1-2 yrs ago by someone who might be disgruntled.

irlandesa said:
well, I have to give the girl who got the interview credit for learning how to manipulate the system, even if it's not in a way that is completely fair to other applicants and the program. I probably should have been smarter myself in that way, and yes, may have had a bit of sour grapes in labelling her unethical when I think about it, though I still believe her actions to be rather inappropriate. I don't think it's up to me to publicly "out" another applicant's behavior, plus could get myself into trouble if her/my identity was revealed (we interviewed at some of the same places). However, if you want to PM me, I'll share some of the details as long as you are not from any of the institutions involved.

Back to BIDMC, good reputation, really like the residents, can't go wrong with it, love Boston, etc. In spite of my less than pleasant experience with the application process, I have nothing but respect for it. But.. the rumors about the PD would have been of concern to me considering that a number of the PD's I've met on the interview trail pretty much sold me the program. I have several friends who have pushed BIDMC down on their rank lists for this very reason.

lurkerboy said:
I think the reports about the PD are blown out of proportion. I think people should base their decision on their own experiences and not soley base their decisions on the words posted on scutwork.com 1-2 yrs ago by someone who might be disgruntled.
The PD did seem rather aloof. I hear she is not much into helping the residents secure fellowships. It's not just scutwork. This will for sure bring BIDMC down on my list. At the end of the day, we need supportive PDs.