Big Brothers/Big Sisters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am thinking of volunteering with Big Brothers/Big Sisters since youth mentoring is something I'm really passionate about. As a kid I always wanted to have that older brother/sister to look up to as a role model, so I feel like I would enjoy this a lot, and hopefully the child would too.

My one concern, though, is the time commitment. I don't have a problem with it being over a long period of time, but I was wondering if it takes up a lot of time on a weekly basis. I currently have a heavy schedule on top of other involvements (mostly on-campus), and I wouldn't want to back out of the program considering that a lot of kids are waiting to be matched up with someone for a quite a long time.

I'd appreciate any advice from any of you that may have experience volunteering with this organization!

Members don't see this ad.

I've done it all four years of college. I'm not sure if the time commitment is the same across all branches, but in the chapter I volunteered under it was only 1 hour a week of visiting, plus whatever else you want to sign up for. Sometimes they have events on the weekend, but that's never expected of you.

I've done it all four years of college. I'm not sure if the time commitment is the same across all branches, but in the chapter I volunteered under it was only 1 hour a week of visiting, plus whatever else you want to sign up for. Sometimes they have events on the weekend, but that's never expected of you.
That doesn't sound bad, actually. What do you do within that one hour, and does the organization assign it to you or can you mutually agree on a good time with the child/their parent?

Members don't see this ad :)
That doesn't sound bad, actually. What do you do within that one hour, and does the organization assign it to you or can you mutually agree on a good time with the child/their parent?
Well the way Mass Bay does it, you just have to go visit your little during their lunch hour, or whatever free time s/he has at school. There are special programs for meeting your little during the weekend, but you need special training for that. And in the hour you just hang out and do whatever the little wants. I've taught mine how to play chess, and I helped him with his form in basketball. Sometimes if he needs help with hw, I'll explain how to ask for help from the teacher after class or whatever. You are not there to tutor or to hang out with the other kids; it's just pure one on one time working as a mentor and giving your little company. My little's mom has had 6 children with three different fathers (one is in jail). He's the fourth youngest and gets absolutely no attention at home, so I'm kind of his outlet to speak his mind and everything else (this isn't an uncommon situation for a lot of these kids).

I'm a campus rep/group leader for BBBS at my school so I love talking about it if you want more info.

I am thinking of volunteering with Big Brothers/Big Sisters since youth mentoring is something I'm really passionate about. As a kid I always wanted to have that older brother/sister to look up to as a role model, so I feel like I would enjoy this a lot, and hopefully the child would too.

My one concern, though, is the time commitment. I don't have a problem with it being over a long period of time, but I was wondering if it takes up a lot of time on a weekly basis. I currently have a heavy schedule on top of other involvements (mostly on-campus), and I wouldn't want to back out of the program considering that a lot of kids are waiting to be matched up with someone for a quite a long time.

I'd appreciate any advice from any of you that may have experience volunteering with this organization!

If this is something you really would like to do, I highly recommend it! I did it for 3 years of undergrad and it was a major point for my essays and personal statement since I am also a big on the power of mentorship. The time commitment isn't bad at all and I was also a full time student, working in a lab, a second job etc. In my chapter they actually had us only meet with the youth every other week starting out. I think they actually recommended that we don't see them every weekend so that if you get busier and are not able to keep the same schedule they won't be disappointed by the sudden change. I mentored the same girl the entire three years and we became very close. In fact I moved 2 states over and she still messages me from time to time updating me about high school. It was very rewarding and I am happy I did it. Feel free to ask me any other questions about it.