Big changes coming to UNC admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPuff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

UNC will no longer consider race, including in essays, during admissions​

UNC will no longer use race as a factor in its admissions and hiring decisions, including in application essays​

The University of North Carolina (UNC) will no longer use race as a factor in its admissions and hiring decisions, including in the applications essays, following the monumental decision by the Supreme Court to overturn affirmative action in college admissions.

Is this the beginning of something bigger?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good. I think race and gender should be removed from any and all applications. View an applicant based on their merits and experience. How can we possibly move away from a society that people claim is racist when race is constantly being assessed in so many different aspects of life. I’ll tell you how, stop bringing it up.

A more fair metric for determining inequality would be to view one’s household income. This is an objective standard which shows an individual may not have had the same resources or upbringing as others.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
A more fair metric for determining inequality would be to view one’s household income. This is an objective standard which shows an individual may not have had the same resources or upbringing as others.
We do that already in holistic review.

However, what if one argues that because of historic inequity of income access and savings, doing this is akin to selection based on race (due to history)?

Folks, UNC was one of the litigating parties in the SCOTUS case. We already discussed implications when the decisions went public. This is not a surprise, and the ripples affecting undergrad admissions just began with the opening of the new Common App this month.

I agree with @Dr. Anonymouss' point (even if I don't agree with taking away race and gender [not sure where that came from?]): the family income represented among matriculants to medical school skews heavily in favor of the top 20% (I think covering at least half of all matriculants). This has been known for at least 10 years and why holistic review includes family financial background (EO scores and other proxies). I agree increasing access to lower SES to undergraduate education is very important too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I beg to differ. There shouldn’t be any discrimination. Period. You don’t need any expensive resources to study. Even if there is any, our focus should be on providing the needed resources to ALL students at a young age and also bring awareness to parents and kids of the benefit having good education. We shouldn’t punish any hardworking kids whether they are from poor family or well to do family.

We shouldn’t assume that a kid from a family with high income did well in studies only because they had more resources without any proof and undermine their achievements. It takes effort to achieve something. Not all kids from well to do families do well in studies and plenty of kids from poor families do exceptionally well in studies.

With the availability of digital platform, we can provide all the help needed for all the students with a fraction of cost.

Edit: typos

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I beg to differ. There shouldn’t be any discrimination. Period. You don’t need any expensive resources to study. Our focus should be on providing the needed resources to ALL students at a young age and also bring awareness to parents and kids of the benefit having good education. We shouldn’t punish any hardworking kids whether they are from poor family or well to do family.

We shouldn’t assume that a kid from a family with high income did well to do family did well in studies only because they had more resources without any proof and undermine their achievements. It takes effort to achieve something. Not all kids from well to do families do well in studies and plenty of kids from poor families do exceptionally well in studies.

With the availability of digital platform, we can provide all the help needed for all the students with a fraction of cost.
This is an especially naive take

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.