Big Constanzo vs BRS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgmaniac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in between my first and second year. I have heard physiology is definitely worth knowing well before you go into your second year so I am going to do some review there. Is BRS really enough for Step 1 or should I try to get through the big constanzo book?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how well you did during your physiology course last year. What book did you use for class?

I did pretty well. I read some of guytons during the year and sometimes just used the class notes. I would say I am weak on respiratory phys. I made a 680(98%) on the NBME shelf but as suspicious of how accurate that is.

BRS phys is actually written pretty well and if you did decently in classes you should be able to follow it with out any problem. the only section that kind of sucks is the repro section (they kind of just tacked it on to the end of endocrine)

a better approach would be to review BRS phys while doing each organ system in path. reviewing it now would be pointless because you'll forget it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like you have a decent big picture understanding of phys, BRS would be enough. I just referred to big Costanzo when I needed clarification or didn't understand something...

If you feel like you have a decent big picture understanding of phys, BRS would be enough. I just referred to big Costanzo when I needed clarification or didn't understand something...
I agree with this. Obviously, you have a good grasp of phys judging by your grades. BRS Phys is lacking in detail, but provides a good overview of important concepts.

I guess my question is. Will not having those details(in big constanzo) lower my board score?

I guess my question is. Will not having those details(in big constanzo) lower my board score?

It sounds like you probably need a review of important materials. Read BRS phys and if you find yourself unable to explain the mechanisms behind the factoids/details, use a reference book or uptodate or something online to figure it out.

I doubt you will want to wade through big costanzo this summer... not to mention it of course lacks some important explanations to factoids as well.

I am in between my first and second year. I have heard physiology is definitely worth knowing well before you go into your second year so I am going to do some review there. Is BRS really enough for Step 1 or should I try to get through the big constanzo book?

Review over the Summer before M2? Costanzo's book.

I don't really think its necessary to read either BRS or Costanzo this summer, as phys is really most helpful to review when you can integrate it with your path subjects during your second year. Also, you should enjoy the hell out of your last summer (just my opinion).
As for which book to read and when, in my experience I found it much more useful to read the detailed Costanzo during MS2 and the more concise BRS phys for boards. I believe that BRS phys is enough for boards (it was in my case) and that not reading Costanzo for board study would not hurt your score. However, I think what a soon-to-be MS2 should be focusing on now is not board study but making sure that you understand the phys as you learn the path this upcoming year, and whether you use Costanzo or BRS to accomplish that depends on how good your phys foundation is and how much time you want to devote to it.