Big dilemma...what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm having a little life dilemma. I'm currently married and have a 6-month old. We just found out my wife is expecting again in June. I had originally planned on doing an away rotation or two, but now I'm re-thinking that option. I really can't leave my wife alone with two children under the age of 2.
My question is: How critical are these away rotations for someone with the following profile?

Looking to match in the midwest region - MN, WI, MI, IL, IA, CO, OH
Step 1 - 235
Honors - most of Year 2
NBME Surgery Shelf - 98th percentile
Good LORs
Helped to start Anesthesia Interest Group at our school

If absolutely necessary, my wife and kids could move with me for a month during her maternity leave. Looking for genuine advice from those that know, either way. Any help appreciated. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your basic numbers/stats are great-- you have a pretty broad range of states you are willing to go to, and a lot of great academic centers in that area. If there's one place that you and your wife had your heart SET on, then by all means do a rotation there. but if you really would be happy with a number of choices location wise, just use your interview days the best you can to get a feel for the places. You are right, leaving your wife with 2 kids under the age of 1.5 would be very difficult..for both of you. Many people match at an awesome place without an away rotation. You should have no problem as long as you interview well. Congrats, and good luck!

Some may disagree, but I would argue you might actually "buff" your application more by doing additional rotations in local programs. This might allow you to get a great LOR from someone who really got the chance to work closely with you over an extended period of time. Likewise, you might have the opportunity to get involved with a project.

Could not agree with idiopathic more.

Though the away rotation could help cement your position at one place, you will still match with your stats, most likely in the location that you desire. It is helpful for determining if you'd like to spend 4 years someplace.

With that said, family trumps all in my mind.

With your stats you will match if you apply to a range of programs.

Being considerate to your wife and establishing your kids as a priority early in your career will pay big dividends down the road.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the great advice. Makes me not so worried anymore :)