Big name Vs. Good fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_strange2001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

ROL are due tommorow and im still having a hard time figuring mines out . Do you guys, esp those who have finished residency, think its better to rank higher a big name program where i dont really feel that i would be happy but will no doubt get great training or a less recognized middle of the road program where i feel that i would fit in and be happy. I asked the doc im rotating with the same question and he stated that "a few years out of residency no one is really going to care where you went". Of course he went to Hopkins for Int Med and works for his brother in law so i took that one with a grain of salt. Can anyone provide some last minute thoughts :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I've got the exact same problem. I think I'm going with what I think is a better fit for me, with location in mind. I'm looking at 6-7 years of training + research. I can't even remember what I was doing that long ago (probably drunk at some college party!). I also have these lofty goals of being an academic surgeon, but 6-7 years down the road who knows if I'll have the same feelings. If I look back, my thought process now is soooo different than back in early college. My biggest fear is being unhappy outside the hospital because I think it'll carry over into work for me. Surgery is surgery and when I'm in the grind of things I think I'll be a lot more worried about how I'll spend the little enjoyment time I have than worrying about whether I should have gone somewhere else.

In the end, I have no answers for what we should do. I've been thinking about this #$%! for too long. It's all a big crap shoot. I'm not the most religious person in the world, but may God help me :confused:

Life is too short! You've already worked your a$$ off for a few years, why do you want to be any less happy than you can be. What is more important than being happy? I bet you would get great training at any one of the places you interviewed and only in certain aspects of academics would name be that useful. If your happy you'll do better work, be a better doc and make better connections so it will all work out in the end. I am ranking places where I'll be happiest higher.

Just my 0.02

-P

Good fit, be happy.

If you want to do academics/fellowship, name is important. If you don't, name doesn't matter that much. I would definately say good fit over name, but name is important as well.

Forget all that! Go for the money and food!

Go for the good fit every time. I do not perform at my best if I am not somewhat happy; therefore at a big name place where I am not happy I would be a very average below average resident. Whereas at a good fit, I felt I could shine. I am applying to IM and really struggled with my choice between UT Southwestern and Baylor-Dallas. It came down to the best fit, so I ranked BUMC #1. Good luck. Crypt