Want to practice with a different name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.on.lock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a medical student, but as a doctor/resident, I want to practice with a name that is not my last name. For context, the name I want to use is legally part of my name, technically one of my middle names on most documents. I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to practice with that name without removing my last name legally. It was my mother's maiden name which she practiced under and I'd like to continue that. Could I just tell my employers to use that name since it is legally part of my name?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to a lawyer about this.

My gut tells me that while yes, your middle name is part of your legal name, dumping your last name to practice under doesn't make that your legal name.

I feel like this would create all kinds of ongoing headaches with licensing, board certification verification, DEA, and credentialing. Agree to discuss with a lawyer but my gut says better off changing your name legally if you want this.

Reactions: 2 users
If it changes anything, on my birth certificate, it was never specified if it was technically my middle name. It was a free text box so my name was just typed in. I just chose to put it in the middle name category on other documents (license, passport, etc)

In my state your medical license has your full name, but you can have people call you whatever you want.
This is what I was going to suggest.

Your license has "Dr. Able Smith Jones" on it, but your white coat, badge and business cards say "Dr. Able Smith". This is the simplest approach.

Reactions: 7 users
Not sure about other states but in California you can do this with a Fictitious Name Permit - Fictitious Name Permit | MBC
In my state your medical license has your full name, but you can have people call you whatever you want.
This is what I was going to suggest.

Your license has "Dr. Able Smith Jones" on it, but your white coat, badge and business cards say "Dr. Able Smith". This is the simplest approach.
Thank you! I figured there had to be some way I could do this since I would just be shortening my legal name in practice. I will look into this!

I wish I could practice under the name Dr. Phil Good.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Acquaintance of mine legally changed her last name to her husband's when she got married in med school, but has only ever practiced under her maiden name.

His last name is Hertz.

She is a pediatrician.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users