Big Private Practice Internships: pros and cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredvm297

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to open the floor for anyones experiences at a big hospital's rotating internship (AMC, Angell, Friendship, VCA West LA, Wheat Ridge, etc.). What are some pros and cons? Interviewed at two of the named ones and reached out to interns (no response since probably slammed busy)!
 
I’ll give my two cents, I’m a rotating intern at a large private practice. I applied to 8 academic internships and didn’t match so I ended up getting this position in the scramble and I’m SO HAPPY where I’m at! Obviously I have nothing else to compare it to but we (the interns) get so much focused mentoring time. There are no students and no residents where I’m at. We have most specialties and the ones we don’t have we’re able to set up out rotations to. Our schedules are flexible and allow us to rotate multiple times through our area of interest before the match. We don’t have to worry about teaching students while we’re trying to learn a ton of stuff ourselves. We still have ~1/month lectures, journal club, daily rounds with the specialists present so I don’t feel like I’m JUST cheap labor because the hospital is still very invested in this year being a learning experience. Despite waking up the morning of the match and having not gotten a position, I’m so glad that I didn’t end up in academia. Feel free to PM if you want more details