Question about unfilled MATCH internships

Started by umbrezon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

umbrezon

LMU c/o 2026!
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I have a question about unfilled MATCH internships. I am a fourth year student about to graduate, and was considering doing a small animal rotating vs. private practice with wildlife for a year. My goal is ACZM or ABVP specialization. I reached out to a few of the "open to the public" internships that were available on the VIRMP website as I did not apply for the MATCH this cycle. One of the hospitals offered me a fill slot at their hospital for their rotating internship this week, but I haven't accepted or declined it yet.

My question is this. I was told by someone today now that if I do not accept the position, I will be banned from the MATCH for 3 years. My understanding was that this only applies to the MATCH process and not open to the public positions that were listed. I am very concerned now that if I don't take this internship that I will be banned from applying in the future. I'm currently still weighing my options and deciding this week on what position I would be taking. My confusion as well stems from the possibility of having to decline other internship positions if I was offered two outside of the MATCH through the public listings? I had reached out to multiple, so I would theoretically have to decline at least one if I decided to go with a different internship?

I'm just confused and panicking a bit about this. I appreciate any insight anyone has.
 
Hi all,

I have a question about unfilled MATCH internships. I am a fourth year student about to graduate, and was considering doing a small animal rotating vs. private practice with wildlife for a year. My goal is ACZM or ABVP specialization. I reached out to a few of the "open to the public" internships that were available on the VIRMP website as I did not apply for the MATCH this cycle. One of the hospitals offered me a fill slot at their hospital for their rotating internship this week, but I haven't accepted or declined it yet.

My question is this. I was told by someone today now that if I do not accept the position, I will be banned from the MATCH for 3 years. My understanding was that this only applies to the MATCH process and not open to the public positions that were listed. I am very concerned now that if I don't take this internship that I will be banned from applying in the future. I'm currently still weighing my options and deciding this week on what position I would be taking. My confusion as well stems from the possibility of having to decline other internship positions if I was offered two outside of the MATCH through the public listings? I had reached out to multiple, so I would theoretically have to decline at least one if I decided to go with a different internship?

I'm just confused and panicking a bit about this. I appreciate any insight anyone has.
Whoever told you that is incorrect. The 3 year blacklisting is for if you are matched to a position and don't go. It doesn't apply to positions offered outside of the match.
 
Whoever told you that is incorrect. The 3 year blacklisting is for if you are matched to a position and don't go. It doesn't apply to positions offered outside of the match.
Thank you so much for clarifying, I appreciate it!!