Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

BIG PROBLEM - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Adam638, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Adam638

Adam638 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's my situation. I'm taking a Physiology of Organs / Systems class in order to get into the upper division lab that I need to graduate. They are coreq's. On Wednesday, I walked into class and saw everyone studying their notes. I instantly began to feel sick. Turned out the test I thought was the following Wednesday was this Wednesday. I pretty much BS'd my way through most of the essays, but it sucked. I don't need the class, just the lab. Would it look terrible to switch to S/U grading? How about switching to just auditing the class? I graduate in May and this is the first time (and last time) something like this has happened. I can get a C in the course if I maintain an 80 average on the next tests and final, but I don't want this to affect my GPA. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    What did you get on the test? If you don't know yet, chill out. Wait until you know your exact score and then you can calculate what you would need to get on the rest of your assignments to pull a B.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you don't need the class. And will get a max of a C. Switch to pass/fail or audit if you're still allowed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. imagined space

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definitely wait to see what your actual grade is. The teacher may have swallowed ur b.s. better than expected. If you still did horribly on it, meet with the teacher ASAP (schedule as soon as you get the score back) and explain the situation. See if you can come to some understanding with the prof, they're usually reasonable ppl who understand that sometimes ppl can royally screw up 1 exam.

Personal note: I started off with a 20% in Orgo II (2 standard deviations below the mean). Talked it out with the orgo prof, he ecouraged me to stick it out. I got a 94 on my second orgo exam (2 standard dev. above the mean) and got a B overall. I was a bit miffed that it wasn't an A after bitching the rest of the orgo class, but it still turned out well and I learned the material better than I would have otherwise.