Big proficiency exams coming up--tips for keeping it cool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4Eyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two important proficiency exams this week :eek:, and I have literally had knots in my stomach for the last two weeks, even though the 3rd years insist it's not that big of a deal. :) I guess you could say I am terrified! I'm afraid my hands will shake soooo bad, or my hands will sweat so much I'll throw my 90D across the room or something. I think I've practiced about as much as a person reasonably can, but I am pretty good at collapsing under pressure (I'm just a spaz). I guess I'm just looking for some words of wisdom/advice from those who have been there/done that. :) Any tips for staying calm and not panicking too much? (proficiency #1 is SLE/tonometry, fundus lens, and BIO; #2 is the whole shebang and takes approx. 2 hours) ...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

4Eyes said:
I have two important proficiency exams this week :eek:, and I have literally had knots in my stomach for the last two weeks, even though the 3rd years insist it's not that big of a deal. :) I guess you could say I am terrified! I'm afraid my hands will shake soooo bad, or my hands will sweat so much I'll throw my 90D across the room or something. I think I've practiced about as much as a person reasonably can, but I am pretty good at collapsing under pressure (I'm just a spaz). I guess I'm just looking for some words of wisdom/advice from those who have been there/done that. :) Any tips for staying calm and not panicking too much? (proficiency #1 is SLE/tonometry, fundus lens, and BIO; #2 is the whole shebang and takes approx. 2 hours) ...Thanks!

I went through the last UMSL 2nd year proficiency exam when it was just the 90 minute version. Now its become so 2nd nature to me for all this stuff, and now I just use a problem oriented exam. Umm...for the proficiency #1 the SLE/Tonometry is graded by the 4th year extern that helps out in the disease lab. 90D/78D or whater Noncontact fundus lens you use is graded by Dr. Rhomberg, and Crano will grade the BIO. All this is so easy to me now, but the hardest thing was just keeping my hand from shaking. Another thing to remember is to make sure whatever ocular you are viewing through to make sure they can view it also.

The "whole shebang" proficiency wasn't that hard actually, because they wanted you to pass it. But again the proficiency has changed since i took it 2 years ago, and I believe they 've made it more strict. Usually the doctor won't say anything in the examination room except to state your findings as you go.

You'll become very proficient at almost any skill with practice. I've done enough gonio and punctal plugs now to feel fine with it, but initially I was pretty scared.

I'm in your seat also in 1 week when I take the 4th year NBEO III clinical skills part. You can do this, just relax, and breath. You'll do great, and pass with flying colors.

Good luck

We were told you can't be nervous and hum at the same time. Not that you actually want to hum during your practicals but it was an amusing way to calm ourselves down before taking them. Try it, if anything it will make you laugh.
Do you take other practicals before this big one? We take practicals all through our 1st and 2nd years and then have our clinic checkouts (which I'm assuming is comparable to what you are about to take) at the end of the summer and we must pass this to start practicing in the clinic our 3rd year.
Have you tried practicing with someone (like a 3rd or 4th year) watching? That could help you get used to feeling like you're under pressure.
Well, it sounds like you've practiced and really tried to prepare so just try to be confident in the fact that you know how to do this stuff! If your hand shakes too much for you to get a good view on something, pull back, take a deep breath, and then give it another shot. I had to do this last quarter with the 90D...I couldn't get the ONH in focus bc my hand was trembling, and it all worked out ;)
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. :) Historically, I've done well on practicals (just things like entrance tests, retinoscopy, subjective refraction, etc.), but the proctors were far less intimidating. The prof doing BIO is known to be quite the stickler, to say the least (most people don't pass the first time, but we can take it again), and the proctor for my clinical privileges exam is the dean of the optometry college...he doesn't try to be intimidating, but he's the DEAN! :)

I might have to try that humming thing. ;-)

4Eyes said:
Thanks for the help. :) Historically, I've done well on practicals (just things like entrance tests, retinoscopy, subjective refraction, etc.), but the proctors were far less intimidating. The prof doing BIO is known to be quite the stickler, to say the least (most people don't pass the first time, but we can take it again), and the proctor for my clinical privileges exam is the dean of the optometry college...he doesn't try to be intimidating, but he's the DEAN! :)

I might have to try that humming thing. ;-)

lol yeah Crano can be a little intimidating, but you should be fine. He does bounce back and forth between sides of you on the BIO to look through the teaching mirror. Dr. Davis is so nice, you'll be fine.