1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

BIG Question

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by camisho, Apr 27, 2004.

1. camisho

camisho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

For those of you who are in or did the SMP or know anything about financial aid, what is the financial aid process like? For those of you who don't know, its an 11 month master's program, and the school does not provide any grants or scholarships for it. I will need to take out all the money in loans, but how exactly do I go about this? I sent in my FAFSA and supplement, but will I need to apply to the lenders on my own? Also, will it be possible for me to get loans for living expenses as well? My parents don't really have anything to support me with, it's more or less all on me...will they give me enough loans? Which lenders might I want to contact? Tuition this year is about $26,000, and I anticipate at least $10,000 for living. I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS, so thank you in advance!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know what the SMP is but your best bet would be to ask them about options for financing the education. If it is a graduate degree program then you are eligible for up to $18,500 in Stafford loans per year. There are other federal loan programs (e.g., Perkins) that the program might offer. If you need more than that you will have to apply for private loans. Again, talk to 'SMP'. If it costs $26,000 I'm sure they've figured out a way to get people to pay for it otherwise there would be few people that could be involved in it.