• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Medicine Match

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
As an IM applicant, I'd like to complete a residency at U of C based on its Chicago location, but realize that UW, Hopkins, Duke & UMich have higher ranking in IM. Hopkins, Duke & UMich also have great cards.

How should I rank these, given that I'm pursuing cards? I have no publications/research experience. Deadline is Wednesday (2/21).

Medicine Match

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
Anyone??

Your thoughts regarding my competitiveness as a cardiology applicant coming from these internal medicine programs would be greatly appreciated.

About the Ads

BlueJayBill

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
Status (Visible)
from what i hear from residents and match lists, etc. I think Hopkins & Duke will offer you the most opportunity. It probably helps doing residency in a place where the faculty & fellowship are outstanding. both these schools have heavy hitters, have residents who do research for them, and in the end have probably fantastic connections.

hope this helps,

bill.

spyyder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Newark, NJ
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Go where you can shine, not stand in the shadows. Go where you will be happy, not miserable. Cards is hard, so don't pick a program based on what will get you into Cards. Go where you can prove that you deserve Cards. Chances are everyone in top a program is doing the same thing, so why put yourself up against the competition, when there are places where you can prove your worth without the needless gunning. Rank where you WANT to go, not where it will get you.

west coasted

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm currently on the interview trail and can give you some insight. UofC is an excellent program, but certainly not a top tier program for IM. Their cardiology department is more basic science oriented and has about the same reputation as their IM department. To get into a top tier cardiology fellowship you likely need: a) chief residency at 2nd/3rd tier b) top tier IM c) MD/PhD d) total package at 2nd/3rd tier (good LOR, publications/research, high class rank, etc). If you go to Hopkins, Duke, etc., then it is far easier to match into any cardiology fellowship. Of course that is if you want a top tier spot, or excellent chances at 2nd/3rd tier. I'm sure applicants from UofC do extremely well, and you would have no problem matching at an excellent program. So far, on the trail I have seen applicants from Penn, Columbia, UTSW, UVA, Beth Israel, Duke, Yale, Brigham, BU, Cleveland Clinic, among others. As you can see there is quite a mix of programs. Ultimately, you need to go where you will do well, since a poor performance at any program will ruin your chances. Good luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.