Big Research Presentation Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted for an oral presentation at ABRCMS (one of the biggest undergraduate conferences) and I also have the option of presenting a poster at AACR (huge professional cancer research conference). Which should I choose, assuming I can only choose one? Cost isn't an issue. I am still waiting to hear back on travel awards. Assuming that I received a travel award to ABRCMS, should I go to that conference and not go to AACR this year? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Bruh, AACR. Much more respected. This is one of those few research things you do in college that can go in a residency app.

Never heard of ABRCMS.

Even a poster at AACR? I get an oral presentation and a travel award to ABRCMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a travel award just go to both.

AACR does not allow me to present an abstract that has already been presented at a national conference

Professional society meetings >>> undergraduate meetings

Just go to AACR. But that's just my advice.

Do the professional society one. Undergrad conferences aren't all that important. At professional ones, you can begin to network and get known as well.

First author publication* >> Middle author publication* >/= Professional conference oral session** > Professional conference poster session > doesn't matter > undergrad conference

*assuming it's at least an ok journal (pubmed or JSTOR indexed and such).

**depends on the conference, but if you have oral session a lot of the time you should publish a paper anyway

In my opinion. So I'd go with the professional conference

Reactions: 1 users