Bikini/Figure Competitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DressageGal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it advisable to put this on a resume? While it shows dedication, I am worried perhaps more conservative adcomms may raise their eyebrows as it is definitely a sexualized sport.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't advise it. Leave anything questionable off of your app- if you have to ask, generally the answer is no.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could just label it as "competitive bodybuilding"

Bikini/Figure is just a division anyways.

Reactions: 4 users
I made this thread recently in regards to bodybuilding and the consensus from adcoms was to include it. Its unique, can make you stand out, and shows dedication. I would word it differently than "bikini competitions." say "NPC amateur bodybuilding, figure division" or whatever applies to you.

Don't downsell it as modeling. It takes a lot of time/effort/dedication. bodybuilding can definitely be mentioned

Reactions: 1 users
I absolutely agree with that sentiment but for the majority of the regular folks out there, bodybuilders are just circus freaks. Bodybuilders today are usually associated with steroids and are labeled as self centered, vain, arrogant people. There is a very small percentage of people who truly appreciate bodybuilding and know what it takes to go on stage and compete. Alas! for the rest competitive bodybuilding is just oiled up muscular men, prancing around in thongs on stage.
That's a pretty ridiculous stereotype

Reactions: 2 users
What's wrong with bikinis and sexualized sports? Old men like these things...

Members don't see this ad :)
You should absolutely list it. I'm a bodybuilder myself, so I can appreciate the time, dedication, and commitment that it takes to prepare for such a feat. While not directly clinically relevant, the craft, especially if you are at the level of competing, is one that has shaped you and is inseparable from who you are as a person. To not present that aspect of yourself in some fashion would be a disservice to your accomplishments. As an EC, I would focus on the fact that the sport/art requires an intense level of commitment and how that has affected your life with the competitions as more of an aside (unless you have won titles at a high level). Good luck, swolesister.

send me pics so i can answer this question more thoroughly

Reactions: 7 users
I don't see how putting this down could hurt you. If anything, I think it will help because it's pretty unique and like you said shows dedication. I imagine not many of the other applicants have competed in figure competitions, which I think would help your app stand out. I would emphasize your skills/interests in these types of competitions that would make you a strong candidate. Maybe mention your interest in healthy living, long-term commitment, dedication, hard work, etc. I did something similar in my app, although it's just a hobby for me. I think you should be fine as long as you're not applying to schools run by ISIS.

Go ahead. It's definitely different. The feminazis may piss and moan about this, but it wouldn't hurt at my school.

Is it advisable to put this on a resume? While it shows dedication, I am worried perhaps more conservative adcomms may raise their eyebrows as it is definitely a sexualized sport.

Thanks!

my response would be: pics or it didn't happen

Sure way to peak adcom interest. Who wouldn't`t want to interview you to see you in person.

Yeah just make sure you call it bodybuilding

Nonissue for majority of people I imagine. If you can speak eloquently to the effort you put into it, why you enjoy it, etc, Np.

Also...

Wpyfx.jpg

Go ahead. It's definitely different. The feminazis may piss and moan about this, but it wouldn't hurt at my school.

People who advocate for gender equality should not be equated to an antisemitic, racial hierarchy political party that were responsible for the genocide of millions of human beings during the 1940's.

But I do agree that you should include bikini/figure competition on your application. It's different and it's interesting.

People who advocate for gender equality should not be equated to an antisemitic, racial hierarchy political party that were responsible for the genocide of millions of human beings during the 1940's.

But I do agree that you should include bikini/figure competition on your application. It's different and it's interesting.

Lighten up, Francis

It's a word; quit whining.

Reactions: 8 users

Last edited:
Almost everyone I know that's into bodybuilding is pretty narcissistic and obsessive about the hobby (in a bad way).

Over the years I've developed a pretty strong negative bias against it.

I compete in bodybuilding, but I have to agree. They culture that has developed in the bodybuilding community, especially since the introduction of instragram, makes me want to barf. But I doubt people who aren't exposed to that share the same feelings.

Sorry y'all, no pics :)

Thanks for the help! Glad t0 hear it likely wont be received badly.