trying to figure out what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thedarklord786786

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently got my MCAT score of 493. I am currently going to get my Masters in Health Policy and Economics. I wanted to apply this cycle but with this score I am not confident. 3.6gpa 3.4sgpa. Should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle, or should I apply this cycle and give it my best shot. Looking to go into DO.
 
I recently got my MCAT score of 493. I am currently going to get my Masters in Health Policy and Economics. I wanted to apply this cycle but with this score I am not confident. 3.6gpa 3.4sgpa. Should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle, or should I apply this cycle and give it my best shot. Looking to go into DO.
That is not a competitive score. Were you doing better on practice tests?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently got my MCAT score of 493. I am currently going to get my Masters in Health Policy and Economics. I wanted to apply this cycle but with this score I am not confident. 3.6gpa 3.4sgpa. Should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle, or should I apply this cycle and give it my best shot. Looking to go into DO.
Unfortunately, that MCAT score is lethal for any medical school. You will have to retake it and do better than 500 for DO, and 510 for MD.

A 3.4 sGPA is not good for MD. Did you have a rising GPA trend?
 
I recently got my MCAT score of 493. I am currently going to get my Masters in Health Policy and Economics. I wanted to apply this cycle but with this score I am not confident. 3.6gpa 3.4sgpa. Should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle, or should I apply this cycle and give it my best shot. Looking to go into DO.
Hope is not a strategy.

Don't even think about applying until you have a decent MCAT score in hand.
 
I recently got my MCAT score of 493. I am currently going to get my Masters in Health Policy and Economics. I wanted to apply this cycle but with this score I am not confident. 3.6gpa 3.4sgpa. Should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle, or should I apply this cycle and give it my best shot. Looking to go into DO.
Unfortunately you need to accept the fact US MD schools are looking for at least a 510 in order to get in, and that's for people with a first attempt. It's a little lower with DO. MCAT scores are a good prognosis of how students will fare in medical school.
 
I recently got my MCAT score of 493. I am currently going to get my Masters in Health Policy and Economics. I wanted to apply this cycle but with this score I am not confident. 3.6gpa 3.4sgpa. Should I retake the MCAT and apply next cycle, or should I apply this cycle and give it my best shot. Looking to go into DO.
Definitely retake it! Nothing wrong with taking the MCAT multiple times to get that ideal competitive score. It's not an easy test! You'll just need to figure out a study plan and what will work for you, i.e. doing a prep course (Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc.) or self study. Just be extremely honest with yourself when applying!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately you need to accept the fact US MD schools are looking for at least a 510 in order to get in, and that's for people with a first attempt. It's a little lower with DO. MCAT scores are a good prognosis of how students will fare in medical school.
Just to counter this... as an advisor that sees lots of students go through my office and apply each year, I see consistent success with students in sub 510 range. I see around 505 as the lowest where I consistently see success with students.

Granted, a student in that 505-510 range needs other strengths in their application to balance out a low-end MCAT score and it depends where you're applying / what state you're a resident in, but I wouldn't say you "need at least a 510" by any stretch. As to correlation with how students fair in medical school, it really only correlates up to about the median last I looked at the data (a couple of years ago). A below median score correlated with lower success rates, but higher scores didn't consistently have a linear improvement.

Certainly will boost your chances to have a higher score, I don't disagree.