I know exactly how you feel. I am 100% mexican (or as much as you can be with the Spanish influence in Mexico). I am brown haired, brown eyed, and my skin is white. My grandma's skin is so dark people used to ask me if she was black before I even knew what being white, brown, or black implied about ethnicity. I do not speak Spanish fluently. I read it pretty well and if someone speaks slowly without getting too fancy I can understand, but I have a lot of problems speaking it. My head gets too caught up in making errors, grammar rules, and just comes to a screeching halt before I can speak. However, in my primary essay I expressed my desire to try to increase my fluency during my year off, which I am doing by starting some Spanish lessons with a friend who graduated with his degree in Spanish. In any case, shame on someone who would make the silly assumption that you have to speak Spanish to be Latino. When my grandparents got here they were told to learn English and stop speaking Spanish. So now both my parents were never taught Spanish because my grandparents did not want their children to be ostracized. Now I'm here and I'm going to have to learn the hard way. I don't mind though, I know I want to do urban medicine and I truly want to be fluent. I too am a little afraid the admissions com. will see me and think I'm not really mexican like so many others do. However, I'm hoping they are a little more informed than that and willing to give us hard working Latinos a chance. 🙂