Med Schools that favor being bilingual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willukm

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fluent in English and Spanish because of my Latino roots. I want to know which schools somewhat favor this besides Puertorican med schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a plus for most schools, especially those in the southwest

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

Schools up east eg new york with a large latina/o population value this alot. Columbia specifically ask about bilingualismin their secondary essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can include an experience of how you used Spanish in a medical setting, it'll help you leaps with any school.

I'm fluent in English and Spanish because of my Latino roots. I want to know which schools somewhat favor this besides Puertorican med schools.

English/Spanish bilingual here, I don't know how you would assess the favor you receive because no school is going to say we want you because you speak Spanish. Would it help the overrall application? Sure. But how much so, would likely be dependent on the individual application and possibly even change year to year.

I perceive my language skills as an advantage for when I am in medical school and beyond so I can help more people. For the application, it's something that's there, but no one has asked/commented/noted in any interview so it isn't overt.

Reactions: 1 user
English/Spanish bilingual here, I don't know how you would assess the favor you receive because no school is going to say we want you because you speak Spanish. Would it help the overrall application? Sure. But how much so, would likely be dependent on the individual application and possibly even change year to year.

I perceive my language skills as an advantage for when I am in medical school and beyond so I can help more people. For the application, it's something that's there, but no one has asked/commented/noted in any interview so it isn't overt.

Same here. No one has explicitly asked me to speak Spanish during interviews. I do express interest in working with the Hispanic population in regards to the location of the school.

In the end, being bilingual is just another skill to add onto your arsenal. Don't be afraid to emphasis it as such.

At one school, my interviewer who was Puerto Rican and I (Chicano) were comparing different approaches for asking the same things in Spanish. I got accepted to that school, so I'm sure it helped! At another school they asked if I'd be interested in helping them start a peer led medical Spanish course. I might be an exception, but I really do think being bilingual stands out

Sent from my Energy X 2 using SDN mobile

My friend at Minnesota's medical school (put bilingual in Spanish on AMCAS) got read a poem in Spanish at his interview and was then asked what the poem meant to him lol.

Reactions: 1 user