Bill Maher to Pharmacists: You're Fake Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not have any respect for this mother fuc***, period! :mad:

All right, it's time for New Rules, ladies and gentlemen.

Ready. New Rule: If you need to shave and you still collect baseball cards, you're gay. If you're a kid, the cards are keepsakes of your idols. If you're a grown man, they're pictures of men.

New Rule: If you have to tell me what fraction of you is Native American, you're not really an Indian. There's a word for people who claim to be one-quarter Indian: Puerto Rican.

New Rule: Ladies, leave your eyebrows alone. Here's how much men care about your eyebrows: do you have two of them? Okay, we're done.

New Rule: I don't need an annoying little sticker on each individual piece of fruit. Let me get this straight: our borders aren't secure, but we're still going through the plums by hand? You know, those stickers are the opposite of appetizing, especially the one on kiwis that says, "Don't these kind of look like your balls?"

And finally, New Rule: Pharmacists have to fill prescriptions. As our audience seems to already know, more and more American pharmacists are refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control because of their personal moral objections. Hey, you know what would really teach us a lesson? If you took off your pretend doctor jacket and got another job.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe cutting off the pill doesn't even go far enough. Yeah, it's high time activist drugstores stopped coddling sluts on every aisle. Let's not sell any more makeup either. A good woman doesn't paint herself. And no more deodorant. You should smell bad. Keep the boys from getting ideas. And no suntan lotion. I've seen what happens at the MTV Beach House, you *****. You want to avoid melanoma, buy a veil.

Why is this country becoming Utah?! You know, I know the conservatives are always saying that the coastal elites don't really get it about them because we just fly over. Okay, maybe. But, you know what? You guys don't get us either. We need to ****. Refusal to provide birth control threatens our economy and our very way of life here in Southern California. There's a lot of hot chicks out here, man. We need birth control! I mean, seriously, how do you think movies get made?

Now, of course, I know the other side is saying, yes, but this is a moral issue. Yeah, but the problem is, not everyone gets their morals from the same book. You go by the book that says slavery is okay but sex is wrong until after marriage, at which point it becomes a blessed sacrament between a husband and the wife who is withholding it.

In conclusion, let me say to all the activist pharmacists out there, the ones who think sex is bad probably because sex with them always is. Fellas, a pharmacist is not a law-giver, not even a doctor. In the medical pecking order, you rank somewhere in between a chiropractor and a tree surgeon.

You don't answer to a law above the laws of men. You work for Sav-On. The doctors are the ones who make medical decisions because they went to medical school, whereas you were transferred from the counter where people drop off film.

All right, that is our show. I will be at the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium tomorrow night. Wow, and also we love having conservatives in our studio audience, so red-staters, take note, April 22nd, good show to come to: Alan Simpson will be back with us, P.J. O'Rourke.

And of course, I want to thank my guests tonight: Mario Cuomo, Richard Perle, Joe Watkins, Arianna Huffington and Ian McShane. Thank you, folks, great job! Appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Fellas, a pharmacist is not a law-giver, not even a doctor. In the medical pecking order, you rank somewhere in between a chiropractor and a tree surgeon.

You don't answer to a law above the laws of men. You work for Sav-On. The doctors are the ones who make medical decisions because they went to medical school, whereas you were transferred from the counter where people drop off film.

Unfortunately, many people actually believe that, and the current controversy will spark many of those same people (in influential governement positions)...to keep us in our place, and as they see it, to force us to..."shut up and bag my pills and dorritos".

Had a gentleman come up to me at a CVS in Vegas, wondering why I was a pharmacy student. He said I should take up nursing because, in his view, they made more money and there was more demand. I told him how much pharmacists make. He said "Oh...", wished me a good day and walked away. He probably thought that since pharmacists are dressed in the same white coats as the lady behind the photo lab counter, we aren't professionals. Not a single iota of knowledge as it pertains to the qualifications of a pharmacist. I did not have to do an internship behind the photo lab counter to become a registered pharmacist...sorry Mr. Maher.

Bad PR...we had it to begin with, now we are getting it in spades.

Oh, and while we are at it...where the hell are the "public relations" people at the APhA? When something big happens in medical practice, the AMA is all over the place. The American Bar Association gets its message out when something big blows over in the legal professions. We have no effective representation in the media. We have no "voice", so I guess its no wonder that people like Mr. Maher believe that pharmacists are, in their view, somewhere between tree surgeons and chiropractors.

I'll admit to taking the APhA, ASHP, etc, for granted. But when something like this happens, you realize that an effective voice for the profession is what is sorely needed. People other than pharmacists, are defining our profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that really infuriates me :mad: People, is this thing happening that often that this needs to be publicized the way it has been lately? I feel like this whole issue is being blown out of proportion just because of a handful of RPhs out there. Why don't they ever talk about all the things MDs refuse to do because of moral obligation? Prescribe BCP, perform abortions, etc... As if we aren't already climbing an uphill battle enough as it is... :(

Caverject said:
Fellas, a pharmacist is not a law-giver, not even a doctor. In the medical pecking order, you rank somewhere in between a chiropractor and a tree surgeon.

Obviously Bill Maher has no idea what a pharmacist does or how one becomes a pharmacist. :mad: :smuggrin: :mad:

LVPharm said:
Oh, and while we are at it...where the hell are the "public relations" people at the APhA? When something big happens in medical practice, the AMA is all over the place. The American Bar Association gets its message out when something big blows over in the legal professions. We have no effective representation in the media. We have no "voice", so I guess its no wonder that people like Mr. Maher believe that pharmacists are, in their view, somewhere between tree surgeons and chiropractors.
That's what I was wondering too. What the heck is APha doing???

rxgal8 said:
That's what I was wondering too. What the heck is APha doing???

Busy sending me discounts on Geico auto insurance and unsolicited credit card offers, apparently. I wish I was kidding.

this is absolutely awful. i would never thought that being a pharmacist will be joke of the nation and worst of all, disrespected across that country.

it is also extremely sad to see that one small minority have put such a huge dent on majority of good, resepcted yet knowledge patient caring pharmacists.

who wants to call up APhA and demand some action!

BM is a liberal... and not very funny... and wants ratings. Ignore him. Just a BM..

http://www.aphanet.org

No position paper from the "voice of the profession" on the bill C-ject mentioned that was before congress...you know, the one they supposedly lobby on our behalf?

ZpackSux said:
BM is a liberal... and not very funny... and wants ratings. Ignore him. Just a BM..
Yah, for a few cheap laughs, he belittled an entire profession. Whatever, the whole BC thing is getting way out of hand just because of a few pharmacists.

i guess we can forget about the making that "most trusted" list anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
LVPharm said:

I'll admit to taking the APhA, ASHP, etc, for granted. But when something like this happens, you realize that an effective voice for the profession is what is sorely needed. People other than pharmacists, are defining our profession.
LV: I can tell you first hand, it's being worked on as we speak.

LVPharm said:
http://www.aphanet.org

No position paper from the "voice of the profession" on the bill C-ject mentioned that was before congress...you know, the one they supposedly lobby on our behalf?
Don't forget, this bill that is being considered was produced this week. After the convention and everything, I am sure they are getting back to speed this week.

Caverject said:
LV: I can tell you first hand, it's being worked on as we speak.

Thanks C-ject, I certainly hope so...we need more media representation. Let's hope we see an APhA spokesperson making the rounds on CNN, MSNBC, etc when this bill comes up for floor debate. I honestly don't remember the last time I saw someone from the APhA on any of the news outlets.

ZpackSux said:

and being a liberal puts him in a higher risk group for taking illegal drugs than conservatives**

**statistic made up by me but still sounds reasonable when you think about it ;)

LVPharm said:
Thanks C-ject, I certainly hope so...we need more media representation. Let's hope we see an APhA spokesperson making the rounds on CNN, MSNBC, etc when this bill comes up for floor debate.
John Gans usually is when this stuff comes up

I'm so tired of pharmacists just sitting there being pissed off about what all is said

i want action

that is the problem with this profession... 90% of my class is all b*tching and no action

it will always be like that

Has maher even been to college at all?

He is a useless dope; at least jon stewart is funny sometimes despite the fact he is annoyingly smarmy.

On one show maher was rambling on about how unhealthy the food is in america (fair enough, but americans still have one of the longest life expectancies in the world) and how he will not eat meat at all. I think his malnourished brain is starting to fizzle out. Someone get him a steak quickly!

bbmuffin said:
I'm so tired of pharmacists just sitting there being pissed off about what all is said

i want action

that is the problem with this profession... 90% of my class is all b*tching and no action

it will always be like that

Problem is, I'd say at least 90% of everyone in their respective professions don't engage in their own professional societies beyond membership, whether it be through holding office, or even participating at national and regional meetings. So I don't know if I should be pissed off. Yet, our voice just doesn't seem to be heard all too loudly in the general public. Other professions can easily get the attention of the media, congressmen, governors, even the President. Perhaps the fact that Pharmacy, as a profession, has several national organizations dilutes our collective voice...or lack of $$$ as compared to AMA, ADA, ABA, etc. Money buys influence.

Well, I found this...hope this changes what y'all think about APhA...

Illinois emergency order modified for contraceptive prescriptions
As Gov. Blagojevich clarifies directive, Illinois Department of Professional Regulation says intent not to interfere with pharmacists’ professional judgment.

Based in part on a communication from APhA, the Illinois Pharmacists Association, and the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich (D) has revised his emergency order requiring “pharmacies” to dispense contraceptives to clarify that the order is not intended to conflict with pharmacists’ professional judgment. The pharmacy groups’ communication to Blagojevich stated, “The requirement to dispense a valid, lawful prescription ‘without delay’ could require a pharmacist to dispense a valid, lawful—but clinically inappropriate—medication ‘without delay.’ This requirement conflicts with the responsibilities outlined in the Illinois Practice Act, specifically requiring pharmacists to conduct prospective drug utilization review.”

Under the original order, issued April 1 by Blagojevich, pharmacies that sell contraceptives are required to fill valid, legal prescriptions for these medications without delay. As written, the rule did not appear to permit pharmacists to protect patients from medications contraindicated because of allergy or drug–drug interactions. Nor did the rule permit pharmacists to transfer prescriptions if they had moral or ethical objections to dispensing contraceptives.

Blagojevich’s order was prompted by reports to the state health authorities that two women were unable to have prescriptions for emergency contraception filled at a chain pharmacy in Chicago. The rule is in effect for 150 days. The state has filed charges of improper care and dispensing against the pharmacy involved in the original case.

The Illinois Department of Professional Regulation continues to argue that the order does not conflict with the state’s conscience protection for health care professionals because the requirement is on the pharmacy not the pharmacist; debate of that issue will no doubt continue. Illinois pharmacists and pharmacy operators are proposing alternate language that would help ensure timely patient access but recognize individual pharmacists to step away based on their personal beliefs.

On a related note, APhA was joined by ASHP, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy, Pharmacists Society of the State of New York, and New York State Council of Health-System Pharmacists in issuing a response to an April 3 New York Times editorial titled “Moralists at the Pharmacy.” The joint response stated, “Serving our patients and helping them make the best use of their medication is our priority…By refusing to acknowledge the reality that a middle ground is available, the editorial declared that ‘any pharmacist who cannot dispense medicines lawfully prescribed by a doctor should find another line of work.’ If the pharmacist’s role were merely to dispense lawfully prescribed medicines, a robot or automaton would fit the bill. But pharmacists are professionals whose role on the health care team is to collaborate with physicians and patients to help medications do what they should—and nothing they shouldn’t.”

That's great to see the major organizations get together and mount a unified dissent to the emergency order. I'd like to see mainstream media pick up on this...after giving Gov. Blagojevich copious amounts of airtime last week, lets see if the NBC Nightly News will give EQUAL time to the viewpoint of pharmacy (I'm not holding my breath). Up until this point, it seemed remarkably one sided.

Every profession will have nay-sayers. It comes with the territory.

But hey , at least people know what a pharmacist is now. =P

Takes some of the heat off doctors, which is something they need (Especially here in Southern Nevada with our insane insurance).

I agree with ZPack, just let it slide off you. Sure, it's upsetting, but it's the opinion of a huge left wing person on television who just wants ratings and thinks his opinion is better than the next person. Let him think that, I'll never meet him *shrug*

I really don't care what Maher says about most anything (I never did), but I do care about the portrayal of the profession not only from him, but from politicians and the media. It seems as if for many in the public, the perception of the profession is that the pharmacist's role is to dispense ANY legal prescription without question...as if we have no expertise to do otherwise (just shut up and fill it you overpaid grocery clerk! ;) ). You see this in the hyper-reaction displayed by Gov. Blagojevich to the actions of a handful of right-to-life pharmacists. I guarantee you he is not the only politician you will see on Wolf Blitzer in the coming weeks displaying a lack of understanding of the true role of pharmacists in the healthcare system.

To me, the story related contains two separate pieces of information:

1. Some two-bit comedian doesn't know anything about pharmacists. I can only put this in the "who cares?" category. Sure, it's bad if he's spreading ignorance, but hey, he's a comedian. They're supposed to make fun of people, sometimes it's warranted and in good taste, sometimes it's not.

2. There are pharmacists out there who REFUSE to fill a prescription because of their personal aversion to the medication prescribed? THAT's a problem.

Hmmm it is interesting to me that so many people in here don't like bill maher because he is a liberal.

I guess this means that there are more conservative pharmacists/pre-pharmacists than leftists? (unless the liberal ones are just keeping their mouth shut about bill maher because deep in their heart they know that hollywood liberals are embarassing)

El Duderino said:
To me, the story related contains two separate pieces of information:

1. Some two-bit comedian doesn't know anything about pharmacists. I can only put this in the "who cares?" category. Sure, it's bad if he's spreading ignorance, but hey, he's a comedian. They're supposed to make fun of people, sometimes it's warranted and in good taste, sometimes it's not.

2. There are pharmacists out there who REFUSE to fill a prescription because of their personal aversion to the medication prescribed? THAT's a problem.
Finally! Well said :thumbup:

Caverject said:
Well, I found this...hope this changes what y'all think about APhA...

That's the problem; that you had to find it. ...whenever there's negative, sensationalistic (yet inaccurate) news, it gets the spotlight. When the record is set straight, the correction or retraction never receives even close to the same degree of attention.

aubieRx said:
Hmmm it is interesting to me that so many people in here don't like bill maher because he is a liberal.

I guess this means that there are more conservative pharmacists/pre-pharmacists than leftists? (unless the liberal ones are just keeping their mouth shut about bill maher because deep in their heart they know that hollywood liberals are embarassing)

I dont like Maher and I am quite liberal. However, I am not a flaming liberal like some that are talked about.

Caverject said:
I dont like Maher and I am quite liberal. However, I am not a flaming liberal like some that are talked about.

What's a flaming liberal?

At least everyone agrees that BM is an idiot, and it's a good thing he's back on cable rather than the networks. I have to admit though, before I looked into pharmacy school, I had no clue what pharmacists did. Virginia had just passed a law reinforcing a pharmacist's right to deny filling a prescription even on moral grounds, but it was basically a superficial bill because pharmacists could already do that. It really annoyed me because I had thought the pharmacist's only job was to hand me my meds until I saw CVS's big signs proclaiming "Talk to your pharmacist". Unfortunately, many people feel this way.

I don't mind the new laws being passed, I just hate how the media is sensationalizing the whole issue. My local news keeps going "the problem of more and more pharmacists refusing to fill birth control", and we never see any real pharmacists interviewed. Is it really that big a problem? I've worked with several really religious pharmacists, and it's never been an issue with them.

On CBS Sunday morning show today, they had a story on the new pill bottle design that's about to go into effect for Target pharmacies. We had just gotten a talk about it from some Target pharmacists describing the innovations. However, the morning show just focused on the designer who's just in art design and completely ignored any input the pharmacists had in its design. There were a lot of other annoying things being said in the piece. *sigh*

Sosumi said:
What's a flaming liberal?

If the oxford english dictionary adopted a definition for "american flaming liberal" a picture of michael moore would appear in a box next to the definition.

Basically a flaming liberal is someone so focused on being a leftist that they have let common sense and decency be cut loose from their speech/actions.

Sort of a counterpart of the xtreme right wingers who want to nuke every country that isn't america and poses a slight threat.

aubieRx said:
If the oxford english dictionary adopted a definition for "american flaming liberal" a picture of michael moore would appear in a box next to the definition.

Careful...you are talking about FutureRxGal's hero! She may post hold you for that comment! :smuggrin:

aubieRx said:

Basically a flaming liberal is someone so focused on being a leftist that they have let common sense and decency be cut loose from their speech/actions.

Sort of a counterpart of the xtreme right wingers who want to nuke every country that isn't america and poses a slight threat.
Unfortunately it seems that the government is being run by the extremes on both sides. As Jon Stewart said on the Daily Show last week, the problem is that the 70% of the population that is moderates aren't very active. "No one is running to the streets and shouting, 'Be Reasonable!'"

Caverject said:
Careful...you are talking about FutureRxGal's hero! She may post hold you for that comment! :smuggrin:

michael moore is a big fat cretin. And I don't care how mad anyone gets if i say it.

aubieRx said:
michael moore is a big fat cretin. And I don't care how mad anyone gets if i say it.

I don't love the man, but I don't go around calling a few prominent republicans names like cretin either.

ForgetMeNot said:
I don't love the man, but I don't go around calling a few prominent republicans names like cretin either.

Why not? You know you wanna. Everyone's doing it. It'll make you feel good. You should try it. :thumbup:

El Duderino said:

I have a problem with legislation and executive orders being passed affecting the practice of pharmacy, based on the very same misconceptions displayed by Maher. To me, THAT is a bigger problem.

BTW, are there statistics out there that tell us how big a problem pharmacist refusal to fill is? Or are the actions of a handful of pharmacists being magnified to scandal-levels of hyperbole by the media...

ForgetMeNot said:

Being a prominent republican is not grounds for being a cretin anymore than being a prominent democrat is.

Michael moore is a very specific case my dear.

nah coulter is too smart (love her or hate her) to be put in the same league as moore.

I think it would be more along the lines of bill o'reily. A total media ***** who uses political controversy to rake in cash.

aubieRx said:
nah coulter is too smart (love her or hate her) to be put in the same league as moore.

I think it would be more along the lines of bill o'reily. A total media ***** who uses political controversy to rake in cash.

I take back my comment about coulter being a media ***** (even though she is) so we can get back to the original topic.

Before we get back on topic...

...can't we all just get along?!

moorecoulter.jpg

(not my photoshop)

I have a problem with legislation and executive orders being passed affecting the practice of pharmacy, based on the very same misconceptions displayed by Maher. To me, THAT is a bigger problem.

Not being a pharmacist myself, I can't really address that, but I will concede that you may well have a point.

BTW, are there statistics out there that tell us how big a problem pharmacist refusal to fill is? Or are the actions of a handful of pharmacists being magnified to scandal-levels of hyperbole by the media...

Well, if it's only a handful it's still a scandal, just not a very big one. :)

aubieRx said:

Coulter.....SMART?

BWAHAHAHA!!! She insisted on Canadian television that Canada sent troops to Vietnam. (They didn't) What a *****. Seriously, she's ignorant. I think you've mistaken "attitude," which she has in spades, for "intelligence." :laugh:

LVPharm said:
Sadly...the latter is true. There aren't any stats out there (which is probably because only a handful of pharmacists out of the 100,000s of RPh's have made this an issue).

That **** is funny. I'm gonna take it for what it is- a comedy. nothing more. Real people know the true value of our profession.